Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Dynamic translation not possible at 100%?

Hi Everyone,

I have already checked on the "Finance Controlling" applications to see how to make my qvw document multi-lingual but I have still 2 situations where I can't find a way to traduce.

I explain:

1) Pivot Tables:

In my pivot tables, I can see the names of my fields but they are not multi-lingual. How can I get them translated dynamicaly?

2) In a Bar chart:

My legend is composed of the content of the field of one of my dimension. But how can I get them translated dynamicaly?

Thank you very much for your help 🙂

14 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hello, The way i do multilanguage is:

I have a table in the database with 3 columns: Language, TextToTranslate, Translation

I import this into the Qlikview file as a standalone table.

Then i have a listbox with the Language field. The listbox has the "Always one selected value" set under the listbox properties. (You need to select one value before u can set that property)

Then everywhere for labels, captions, dimensions et.c. i do this

=

MAXSTRING(IF(TextToTranslate = 'Customer', Translation, ''))

So for example if the table looks like this:

Language, TextToTranslate, Translation

English, Customer, Customer

Swedish, Customer, Kund

Norwegian, Customer, Kunde

And yuo have selected Swedish in the listbox then the result of

=MAXSTRING(IF(TextToTranslate = 'Customer', Translation, '')) will be Kund

Cheers

Martin

Not applicable
Author

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the quick reply but What I really don't know is:

where can I put this code for the labels of the field (so, I mean each titles of each colums) in a pivot table. Like in the following image for the translation of Corporate_Id:

and where can I put this code for the legend of my bar chart (because if I put this on the label, then I get the only one label on top of all my possible values for the legend). Like in the following chart:

Thank you,

Caro.

Not applicable
Author

The code goes where it says Label for the dimensions and expressions.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Martin,

I know about these places and I have tried and used these for expresions and some dimensions but in this case it is not what I am looking for.

You can look at the picture below. What you are suggesting is the "global" legend label. But I would like to traduce each field of the legend.

As you see here, when we use the label, we get a global title for the legend (here: Produit & Services). But I would like to translate the ones below that (Product & Services, Means of payment processing, local electronic banking...etc.)

Best Regards,

Caro.

Not applicable
Author

Hello Caro,

Caro wrote:As you see here, when we use the label, we get a global title for the legend (here: Produit & Services). But I would like to translate the ones below that (Product & Services, Means of payment processing, local electronic banking...etc.)

The Label is Produit & Services. But the others below are values (member of your dim called Produit & Services) and come directly from the (database-)field belonging to the dimension. So if you want to translate them, you have to do it during the load. OK?

Regards, Roland

Not applicable
Author

You use the same the approach as i mentioned before.

Instead of using a field you need to use calculated dimension

So if your field is Rev_rubric then it should be something like

=MAXSTRING(IF(TextToTranslate = Rev_rubric , Translation, ''))

All values for Rev_rubric need to be in the translation table.

Cheers

Not applicable
Author

Oooops, didn't work as expected. Attached is a working solution. Cheers Martin

Not applicable
Author

Hi Roland,

Yes, it is as you said the members of my dimension 😉

I have seen some other post about this solution but nothing quiety clear for me.. 😞 sorry I am relly just beginning with the QlikView coding.

Do you have any references to do it step by step?

One of the big doubt I still have with translation at load time is the following:

If in the qvw application I have buttons to change the language, would my label then be tranlated too? or is it just working for application when you chooses the language at start/load?

Thanks,

Caro.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Martin,

Again thank you for taking the time to answer me.

I can't find you attachement 😉

Caro.