Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mandyaryel
Contributor III
Contributor III

Is it possible to use Qlik Sense without Active directory?

Hi all,

I have a question about if is possible to use Qlik Sense without to use the Active Directory.

Cause I have a customer that don't use the AD. So, Should I obligate him to use the AD?

Awaiting, Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Amanda,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the Qlik Community.

I'd like to chime in here in addition the answers provided.

By Default - Qlik Sense uses Windows Integrated Security for Authentication and it's own repository and security rules for initial Authorization. It just so happens that most Windows environments are already configured with AD so it appears seamless. Active Directory to Qlik Sense is nothing more than a repository to import user attributes into the Qlik Sense Repository that then can be used for authorization and resource object control etc. using our security rules and custom properties, etc.  Authentication can also be changed to other forms as well. I just wanted to clarify in case there is any confusion as it is commonly misconstrued that our User Directory connector which can be configured for AD is used for Authentication, which is not the case.

See this video for more information f you would like:

Qlik Sense Platform - Qlik Management Console User Directory Connector - Part 5

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

It's possible to use other directory providers for authentication. You could even use a csv file if you wanted. AD is not a requirement.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

It is quite possible to use Qlik Sense without using Active Directory - although AD is the most common way of providing regular security including authentication and authorization on a Windows platform.

Qlik Sense has been designed to be very flexible in this sense by supporting standard protocols so it is easy to implement alternatives to AD.

Default authentication module

After a default installation of Qlik Sense, the Qlik Sense Proxy Service (QPS) includes a module that handles authentication of Microsoft Windows users. The module supports the use of Kerberos, NTLM, and basic authentication.

NTLM in this context includes Active Directory also.

You don't need to obligate him to use AD - but whether it is smart to use AD depends on what the alternative is and how costly it will be to implement compared to AD.

reddy-s
Master II
Master II

Yes absolutely,

Check this document, you should have all the information required.

Qlik Sense Quick Installation Guide

Thanks,

Sangram.

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Amanda,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the Qlik Community.

I'd like to chime in here in addition the answers provided.

By Default - Qlik Sense uses Windows Integrated Security for Authentication and it's own repository and security rules for initial Authorization. It just so happens that most Windows environments are already configured with AD so it appears seamless. Active Directory to Qlik Sense is nothing more than a repository to import user attributes into the Qlik Sense Repository that then can be used for authorization and resource object control etc. using our security rules and custom properties, etc.  Authentication can also be changed to other forms as well. I just wanted to clarify in case there is any confusion as it is commonly misconstrued that our User Directory connector which can be configured for AD is used for Authentication, which is not the case.

See this video for more information f you would like:

Qlik Sense Platform - Qlik Management Console User Directory Connector - Part 5

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
mandyaryel
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you all!

All comments helped me a Lot!