Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Renaming values in dimension

Hey guys! Long time user, first time poster.

So I work in clinical research and am developing a report. The events are recorded in a survey site we use [redcap], exported to excel and then uploaded to qlik.  My problem is we were pretty over zealous in the answer choices to the survey. For instance the document calls each event "Pre - Op (Arm 1 : Phase 1) or "2 Week Post - Op (Arm 2 : Follow - Up)".

My problem is in my chart showing change over events, the titles of the events are so long I can't fit it all on my screen and it auto crops it out of view.  Any help renaming specific answer choices?  I would love to change the answer to "PreOp" or "2 Week".

There are only 4 different event names.

I was thinking it involves the AS command but I can't sort it out.

Thanks Qlik'ers

z

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jonopitchford
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Zackary,

you need to change "Event Original Name" in the text below to what you have called your event field (the dimension name you use to create the graph). Then you can use an inline load to create a map if there are only a few field values you want to change.

Event Map:

LOAD * INLINE [

Event Original Name, Event New Name

Pre - Op (Arm 1 : Phase 1), PreOp

2 Week Post - Op (Arm 2 : Follow - Up), 2Week

];

or just create a table in excel like this:

Untitled.png

and use this script at the end:

Event Map:

LOAD [Event Original Name], // RENAME THIS TO YOUR FIELD NAME. I assume this is called "Event Name"?

[Event New Name]

FROM

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is Sheet1);

This will create an associative join on the [Event Original Name] field and give you a [Event New Name] value every time there is a match in the field [Event Original Name].

Thanks

Jonathan

View solution in original post

4 Replies
jonopitchford
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Zachery,

I think i would create a mapping table like this:

Event Map:

LOAD * INLINE [

];

with [Event Original Name] being whatever you called the event field and then use [Event New Name] as the field in the chart.

Would that work in this case?

cheers

Jonathan

Not applicable
Author

Thats for the Reply Jonathan! Would I put this code directly into the edit script after the event name?

Tacking it onto the end of the code and a separate command lead to errors

Ive tried it out and isn't mapping tables used to rename whole columns? I just need to rename some fields within the column.

z

jonopitchford
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Zackary,

you need to change "Event Original Name" in the text below to what you have called your event field (the dimension name you use to create the graph). Then you can use an inline load to create a map if there are only a few field values you want to change.

Event Map:

LOAD * INLINE [

];

or just create a table in excel like this:

Untitled.png

and use this script at the end:

Event Map:

LOAD [Event Original Name], // RENAME THIS TO YOUR FIELD NAME. I assume this is called "Event Name"?

[Event New Name]

FROM

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is Sheet1);

This will create an associative join on the [Event Original Name] field and give you a [Event New Name] value every time there is a match in the field [Event Original Name].

Thanks

Jonathan

Not applicable
Author

You're the Guru of Qlikview! Thank you!!

z