Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Example of Load with QVD Files

Hi all,

I'm generating a few reports that will be scheduled for a data reload every ten minutes or so.  I'd like to use qvd files but am not confident in my implementation of them.  Is there a good example of this somewhere?  From what I've read it's best to use STORE and save all the qvd files with one app and then LOAD those files from their respective apps.

Any direction is appreciated

Steven

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Vegar
MVP
MVP

Hi Steven

I often choose to split my QlikView development into three stages, Extract, Transform and Load (ETL).

Extract: Read and store source data without modification into a QVD Extract folder.

Transform: Read the QVD Extract folder and do all my manipulation and transformation of data and store it into a QVD Transform folder.

Load: Read the transform qvd files without any modification

LOAD * FROM my.qvd (qvd);

Load application are my end user application. The focus in my load applications are user interface and layouts, not data transformation.

One benefit from splitting the data loads into several applications is that you can reuse data created in E and T. You may want to load certain data frequently every 10 minutes, but other data less frequently every night. That you can do by splitting up your data loads.

Transactions:

Load

Examplefield1 as [Field 1],

Date(Exampledate) as [Date],

Monthname(Exampledate) as [Month name]

ExampleValue as [Value]

FROM C:\ExtractFolder\Example.qvd (qvd);

Store Example into c:\TransformFolder\Transaction.qvd (qvd);

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Vegar
MVP
MVP

Hi Steven

I often choose to split my QlikView development into three stages, Extract, Transform and Load (ETL).

Extract: Read and store source data without modification into a QVD Extract folder.

Transform: Read the QVD Extract folder and do all my manipulation and transformation of data and store it into a QVD Transform folder.

Load: Read the transform qvd files without any modification

LOAD * FROM my.qvd (qvd);

Load application are my end user application. The focus in my load applications are user interface and layouts, not data transformation.

One benefit from splitting the data loads into several applications is that you can reuse data created in E and T. You may want to load certain data frequently every 10 minutes, but other data less frequently every night. That you can do by splitting up your data loads.

Transactions:

Load

Examplefield1 as [Field 1],

Date(Exampledate) as [Date],

Monthname(Exampledate) as [Month name]

ExampleValue as [Value]

FROM C:\ExtractFolder\Example.qvd (qvd);

Store Example into c:\TransformFolder\Transaction.qvd (qvd);

luizcdepaula
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Steven and Vegar.

I completely agree with Vegar and that is how we do for our company. The only thing I would add to that, is that we create different extractions and set of QVDs for each business area of the company.

For example:

We created a QVF to extract sales that from different sources every hour. In this QVF we combined all extracts for sales in different tabs to organize.

Then we created another QVF extract inventory data every day.

Separating your extracts by creating different QVFs, you don't have to run all extracts every time if it is not necessary, avoiding over loading the server memory.

I hope that helps.

LD