Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QVD and Files Dependency

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to create an application to read all LOG files seeking the FROM/STORE to create a relationship between QVWs and readed and generated files by each QVW.

I'm trying to adapt it to ScriptLogAnalyser by Rob Wunderlich , but without success. In him we have the information of STORE but we do not have information of FROM.

Here is an example of how I want the information :

Dependency.PNG

Is there any power tool to do that ?

Sorry about the english.

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

It's possible by reading the xml-header from a qvw which stored for each table from where it was loaded. I have done something like this many years ago and could now not clear remember in which tables/fields it is stored. It's not extremly difficult but it needs some time to understand the logic within the meta-data. The best way of using the meta-data is to use existing tools like the governance dashboard and adjusting respectively extending them for your requirements.

An alternatively might be to create these kind of information directly by including fields like:

documentname() as Document,

filename() as SourceTable,

'YourTableName' as TargetTable

within each load and extracting them on the script-end into a separate table and maybe storing it into a qvd and dropping all these fields from your tables again to avoid synthetic keys and keep them clean. By using variables and a sub-routines for this the efforts of applying it could be manageable.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MarcoWedel

Did you already test the Governance Dashboard?

regards

Marco

marcus_sommer

You could read this information from the xml meta-data of a qvd - I believe "CreaterDoc" or similar - but at first try the suggestions from Marco with already existing tools.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Thank you Marco for your reply.

The Governance Dashboard does not show the QVD Creator and the QVW who reads each QVD.

I think that I need to read the log files to seek for this informations.

Check the QVW attached that I am developing. I need something like that.

The ScriptLogAnalyzer has the store files (as you can see in the image below) if I get the "FROM" files too, it would be perfect.

dependency2.PNG

Regards

Renato Scaramal

Not applicable
Author

Hi Marcus, thanks for your reply.

The xml meta-data of a qvd gives me the Creator of the QVD, but I need to know who reads this QVD too.

Regards,

Renato Scaramal.

marcus_sommer

It's possible by reading the xml-header from a qvw which stored for each table from where it was loaded. I have done something like this many years ago and could now not clear remember in which tables/fields it is stored. It's not extremly difficult but it needs some time to understand the logic within the meta-data. The best way of using the meta-data is to use existing tools like the governance dashboard and adjusting respectively extending them for your requirements.

An alternatively might be to create these kind of information directly by including fields like:

documentname() as Document,

filename() as SourceTable,

'YourTableName' as TargetTable

within each load and extracting them on the script-end into a separate table and maybe storing it into a qvd and dropping all these fields from your tables again to avoid synthetic keys and keep them clean. By using variables and a sub-routines for this the efforts of applying it could be manageable.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

The Governance Dashboard show the sources used by each QVW so I am adapting the script to my needs.

Thank you guys!

Renato Scaramal.