Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kdmarkee221
Contributor III
Contributor III

ApplyMap not working in Qlik Sense

I have yes/no flag fields where the values are 1,0 and QV will correctly map it to Yes,No but QS is setting the 1,0 values to ‘Unknown’.  The logic in my script is as such:

YesNo_Map:
Mapping Load * Inline
[
   OrigValue,NewValue
   0, No
   N, No
   F, No
   1, Yes
   Y, Yes
   T, Yes
   no, No
   yes, Yes
];

ApplyMap('YesNo_Map', NOTE, 'Unknown') as [Note]

(Side note:  NOTE is oracle datatype varchar2 but stores 1,0,null)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kdmarkee221
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Looks like a #Num#() is needed, like this: 

ApplyMap('YesNo_Map', Num#(NOTE), 'Unknown') as [Note

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

I'm not seeing any problems with this, so I'd suggest you check your underlying data to make sure that the values are being passed as expected. You could also try explicitly converting both the mapping field and the NOTE field to text to make sure there's no data type mismatch issues.

This works:

YesNo_Map:
Mapping Load * Inline
[
OrigValue,NewValue
0, No
N, No
F, No
1, Yes
Y, Yes
T, Yes
no, No
yes, Yes
];

Load Field, NOTE, ApplyMap('YesNo_Map', NOTE, 'Unknown') as [Note];
Load * INLINE [
Field, NOTE
A, 0
B, 1
C, 2
D, Y
E, yes
F, zzz
];

Or_0-1638452216976.png

kdmarkee221
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Appreciate the feedback, but still leaves me without answers on what the root cause is.  When I load the data straight from my oracle tables and leave the fields as is and create a second set of fields using the ApplyMap, there is nothing to indicate there is an issue. This is the only thing I think of to do when you say "make sure that the values are being passed as expected"... they are, that is, the original fields correctly show 1 and 0 but QS ApplyMap changes all values to 'Unknown'.  What do we know about the QV and QS engines and how they perform on maybe different server versions or with maybe varying odbc drivers?  I'm just shooting from the hip with some of these thoughts.

Or
MVP
MVP

I can't tell you what the root cause is because, unfortunately, I can't replicate your problem. The script I posted, which is the same scenario, runs without issues.

I'd suggest looking into data type mismatches (apply text() to everything), leading/trailing spaces (trim() everything), etc. as the most likely culprit, but that's just guessing.

kdmarkee221
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Looks like a #Num#() is needed, like this: 

ApplyMap('YesNo_Map', Num#(NOTE), 'Unknown') as [Note