Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qlik_Maestro
Contributor III
Contributor III

Best Practice for Organizing Fields

Hello,

I am working with Sense and I was wondering if I can get some tricks and tips on managing fields. 

The issue is

1. We have a lot of fields. Is there a way to group fields together somehow for organization and easy search or access?

2. We have fields with long names. Sometimes by necessity they are qualified. However Qliksense has limited widths on their left or right hand panels where you do field search/selections. This makes long field names get cut off. Any idea how to best get around this?

Labels (1)
1 Reply
marcus_sommer

Qlik reports are usually aimed to analyze data. To do this are usually not many fields needed. Therefore your question indicates that there are not only relevant fields included else quite all available and/or the reports aren't appropriately specialized. Even if it's logically and technically possible to pull everything into a single application it's not always the best decision from a usability point of view.

Another cause for many fields are using cross-table structures within the data-model. Should this be the case you could transform them into a stream-data structure.

Beside this I think that qualifying the fields may have some benefits within backend of the data-bases or generator-layers of Qlik but within the report-layer it becomes a disadvantage. Therefore I suggest to re-think the approach carefully. Especially by designing a data-model in the direction of the official recommended star-scheme (means to have just a single fact-table with n dimension-tables) an extra source-field within the fact-table will serve the purpose to show which data comes from which source.

- Marcus