Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohanLind1979
Contributor III
Contributor III

Date formatting and variable in SET expression, Moving Annual Total

Hi Qlik friends, I have a problem creating a SET expression for Moving Annual Total. I´ve got fields Period, Amount, Year, Month:

Format of field Period is:

and I also got a variable with the start date of max(Month). The variable is called $(vMaxSelectedMonth_StartDate) and if you select Month = September, the result of this variable is '2020-09-01'.

Now I need the Moving Annual Total of Amount. This is the sum of Amount for Periods 201910 - 202009 if you select September 2020. But I also want separate expression for Moving Annual Total  previous Month, that are periods 201909 - 202008 if you select September 2020. Separate expression for  Month-2, Month-3 and so on until Month-12.

For the selected month this works fine:

Sum({<Period = {">$(=Max(Period)-100)"}>} Amount)

but it doesn´t work for Month-1, Month-2 and so on...

I´m thinking I need to change the format of Period to 'YYYY-MM-DD' and compare to the variable $(vMaxSelectedMonth_StartDate). Can this be done in a SET expression? What would that look like?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @JohanLind1979 

With set analysis and dates the formatting is really important. Having the period as a number makes things simpler, for sure.

You can format the content of the variable to match the period field like this:

=Date(Max(Month), 'YYYYMM')

That should then allow you to use it in the set analysis against the period.

If you need to take off a number of months though you have a problem that the numbers are not fully sequential (i.e. 202001 does not follow 202012). You can get around this by creating a field which is months since 1900, by doing this in your load script:

(Year(Date)*12)+Month(Date)) as MonthNo,

This gives you a numeric sequence of months, so to get the number of the month three before the latest you can do max(MonthNo)-3. This can simplify set analysis and prior period comparisons, but is not useful to show the user in any way shape or form.

Hope that helps.

Steve

View solution in original post

3 Replies
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @JohanLind1979 

With set analysis and dates the formatting is really important. Having the period as a number makes things simpler, for sure.

You can format the content of the variable to match the period field like this:

=Date(Max(Month), 'YYYYMM')

That should then allow you to use it in the set analysis against the period.

If you need to take off a number of months though you have a problem that the numbers are not fully sequential (i.e. 202001 does not follow 202012). You can get around this by creating a field which is months since 1900, by doing this in your load script:

(Year(Date)*12)+Month(Date)) as MonthNo,

This gives you a numeric sequence of months, so to get the number of the month three before the latest you can do max(MonthNo)-3. This can simplify set analysis and prior period comparisons, but is not useful to show the user in any way shape or form.

Hope that helps.

Steve

JohanLind1979
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

That was really really smart! Love that solution, thank´s! One slight adjustment needed though, I think it should be 

(Year(Date)*12)+(Month(Date)) as MonthNo

Parenthesis missing in your post....

Also I don´t think I need your formula =Date(Max(Month), 'YYYYMM') for the variable. Max(Period) is the same result in my case.

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Excellent, glad it works for you.