Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dual - Single Versus Double Quotes

Hi everyone,

I know that Qlik somewhat recently fixed the single versus double quote issue in set analysis so that single quotes reference literal strings while double quotes not act as a case insensitive search. This is wonderful, but I seem to have found an issue with how it was implemented. Can someone else please confirm that they are also experiencing the issue I describe below in Qlik versions starting with November 2017? I'm not sure how to send this to Qlik as a potential bug so posting here first.

My issue seems to be two-fold.

1.) You can no longer use single quotes in set analysis to filter for field values that are stored as Dual() values.

2.) Since you can't filter Dual() text values using single quotes there would be no way to distinguish between these two values in set analysis without knowing/referencing their individual number values - Dual('value', 1) and Dual('VALUE', 2).

I've attached a simple QVF file and screenshot that shows where these issues occur.

For pretty much all of our needs, switching the existing single quotes for double quotes works, but I'd like to be able to implement set analysis for Dual() values in the same way that we do for all other data types.

Best regards,

Justin

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Having looked at it briefly, I'd say it's a bug. It should compare the string with the textual value of the dual, but for some reason there is no match.

Meanwhile, I suggest you use Marcus' work-around. It should work.

HIC

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Chanty4u
MVP
MVP

hi

this might helps Quotes in Set Analysis

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the information. What Henric describes in your link is what I mentioned in my first paragraph. I know and understand the updates that were made, but in his post there is no reference to how the fix affected Dual() values.

It seems as though the fix to make single/double quotes work properly has possibly created another bug when you're doing set analysis with Dual() values.

marcus_sommer

I'm not sure if I would call it a bug especially because I'm don't on the current releases and couldn't test this behaviour. But I think you could bypass your problem by using a search-expression for it like:

... Field = {"=match(Field, 'Value')"} ...

- Marcus

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

I will take a look at it.

HIC

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Marcus,

Writing the formula as you described does indeed work. Thank you for the workaround for those who need it!

I'll wait to see if Qlik/Henric can provide an update as to whether it should be required to treat Dual() values in a different way or if there can be an update/fix that will allow Dual() values to work as normal text values do.

Best regards,

Justin

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you very much, Henric!

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Having looked at it briefly, I'd say it's a bug. It should compare the string with the textual value of the dual, but for some reason there is no match.

Meanwhile, I suggest you use Marcus' work-around. It should work.

HIC

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Perfect, thanks for the confirmation, Henric! Can't wait to see the fix in some future update!

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

FYI,  I ran across this issue at a customer today.  Would be interested to know if it has been filed as a bug.

-Rob