Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
retrocolor
Partner - Contributor III

Get Variable Value stored in a Bookmark

Hello Everyone,

Do you know if there is a way to get the value of a variable that is stored in a bookmark without applying the bookmark.

I have a qlik sense application where users should create bookmarks with special names. These bookmarks include selections and entered free text which I 'store' in a variable. Then I use the bookmark using the special name to do calculations (without applying the bookmark - for ex sum({MyProduct_BM1}  Units)    ). But this way I can't get the value of the free text unless the bookmark is applied. I can't use some predefined field for this free text because it could be anything.

I suppose this should be also relevant to qlikview expressions and set analysis.

Many thanks in advance!

Radi

Labels (1)
8 Replies
ahaahaaha
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi Radi,

I tried to reproduce your situation. As I understand, the value of variables is not stored in bookmarks. The idea is that the bookmarks store the selection state, and the variables to the selections do not apply. May be for your task to look for another solution?

Regards,

Andrey

retrocolor
Author

Hi Andrey,

Thanks for your quick answer!

Bookmarks are really essential for my project and unfortunately I cant go in a different direction.

I created a simple app just to show you what I want to do if it is possible. In this app I created a Bookmark that stores a selection and an input with a variable:

BookmarkContent.png

You can see I called the BM = 'MyBookmark' and it stores selections in the field A = (1 and 3) and also an input with the variable 'vMyInput' = 'DiffenetName'.

I applied this bookmark - and in the text object I put the sum of the selection and the text from the input.

But the way I need to use the Bookmark is to get its content without applying it. If I put the sum in the text object as sum({MyBookmark}A) - it is working fine and I get the value 4 but I cant find a way to get the variable value from the bookmark

NotApplied.png

Regards,

Radi

vishsaggi
Champion III
Champion III

retrocolor
Author

Hi Vishwarath,

Thanks, but I already did that for my example in the upper post.

ahaahaaha
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi Radi,

It became interesting to try to solve your unusual problem. Unfortunately, I have not yet found a documented way to retrieve the value of a variable stored in a bookmark. In any case, I still continue to search. If something happens, I'll let you know. Maybe the developers or more experienced colleagues will be able to help us.

Regards,

Andrey

er_abhichandra
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Radi, unfortunately there is no way you save save variable's values inside a bookmark without applying it.

There is a roundabout way you can achieve this. you can write a macro, and fire it to apply the bookmark whenever any value is entered/changed int he variables(set actions in document properties). After applying the bookmark the value of the variable will be saved in bookmark, and in that macro you can clear the bookmark again, and re-apply the current selection set. you can repeat this for every variable's value change.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Abhi

vsabbise
Creator
Creator

Hello,

Were you able to figure out how to achieve this ? Thanks

ninnartx
Creator
Creator

Hi,

Were you able to figure this out? Im currently facing the same issue.