Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ForgotMyOldUsername
Contributor III
Contributor III

Line Chart - Min/Max possible on Y, why not X?

For measures ( Y -Axis )  on a line chart, you can set precise bounds ( Min/Max ) , however it seems there's no easy way to exert the same control over the X-Axis.

Below, the data has an X-Axis ( Integer 1 - 10 ), and 3 measures of 'Category',    A,B and C.

A has entries for X-Axis values of 1-10, B for 1-5, and C for 5-10.

Ideally, the user would filter on a Category, and still get the context, with the X-Axis remaining at 1-10, yet Qlik will filter to show only the non-zero/non-null values .

example_x_axis.png

Is there an easy way to force the X-axis to stay 'fixed' without a bunch of janky work-arounds with set analysis, alternate states or messing with the measures? 

Is it simply a case of filling the nulls with zero's instead ( though totally inefficient , if it works, I'll accept it ) , or is there a cleaner / smarter way of ensuring the X-Axis doesn't Yo-Yo around when filtering ( like we already can do on the Y-Axis )

5 Replies
eddie_wagt
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hello @ForgotMyOldUsername ,

So you don't want to use any functionality such as set analysis (which suits perfectly for your needs)?

Out of the box there isn't any functionality with the line chart to meet your requirements. Maybe you can elaborate more on your choice to not fiddle around with the given functionality in Qlik Sense? Are there other blocking issues when you use set analysis or any other functionality of Qlik? Just curious.

eddie_wagt_0-1622627280176.png

Regards Eddie

ForgotMyOldUsername
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Eddie,    short answer,  yes.

Long answer  -  the measures are already a rather complex set of nested conditionals, so throwing set analysis into the mix isn't trivial. 

I think perhaps then , in the data model itself, we need to fill in the 'null' data points with 0, so even when filtered, there are data points to be plotted on the chart ( as zero ) and not eliminated as null.

It'd be wonderful to have a checkbox on the chart to just chose whether the axis flexes or not haha.

eddie_wagt
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Ok, clear. Other question, you can solve it in the dimension with set analysis. Is this an option? Otherwise if you fill the zeroes, then you should do some calculations in the coloring. 

ForgotMyOldUsername
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

That's news to me,  you can do set analysis with dimension axis?

That'd be great, the dimension axis is a simple field right now, if it was possible to get the 'default'  / 'all' state for the dimension with set analysis, that'd be a win!

Everything I can find relies on adding set analysis to the measures, which'd be quite an undertaking.

eddie_wagt
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hello @ForgotMyOldUsername ,

Sorry for the late reply. I was reading my earlier post today and I realized this is Qlik Sense and not Qlikview. In Qlikview you can control the range of the X-axis. So I tried to come up with another solution, but I still don't know if this suits your needs. I think if you neatly arrange all conditions and measures then you should not be confronted with such a problem in Sense. I have a solution that incorporates a dummy variable which you can add to your expression, it is just an extension of your expression no matter how long and what the conditions of these expressions are.

MyVariable = * sum({1}1)

Sum({$}MyNumber) $(MyVariable)

See attached qvf

Regards 

Eddie