Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dadumas
Creator II
Creator II

Master Item measure Colors based on fixed numeric ranges (Visual clues in QV)

I have a master item measure: [Sum of Margin].  I want it to display green when positive, and red when negative.  I used do this at the chart level in QV with visual cues, and setting numeric ranges.

It looks like the master item measure colors tab might do this, but I have tried adding and setting "limits', and cannot get this to do anything.  Seems like it should be pretty simple, but the UI for this is not so intuitive for my feeble mind 😞

Dave

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @dadumas 

That makes more sense! You are asking about a table, and I had assumed it was a chart.

You need to write code to get colour in your table, and you sadly can't use the Master Measure colours. You need to use the colour expression boxes that you have found in your screenshot.

You can colour either the background or the text, to do it for the text you would have something like:

=if(sum(Value) < 0, rgb(200,0,0), rgb(0,200,0))

If you were looking to do it for the background you would want more pastel shades.

If you want to have gradiated colours you need to look up how to use the ColorMix1 and ColorMix2 functions, but they are not neccessary for a simple +/- colouring.

Hope that helps,

Steve

View solution in original post

5 Replies
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @dadumas 

You're on the right track. You need to ensure that you set the bounds for the limits correctly. It is also the case that the changes don't apply immediately. Drag the master measure onto the chart again and select to colour by the measure - that will often work. If not go to the Colours tab on the right hand properties menu and ensure Colour By Measure is selected and then switch the Library Colours switch on and off (or off and on). Hopefully the colours will kick in at some point.

Good luck!

Steve

dadumas
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks Steve, I will try your suggestions

dadumas
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I have added limits for fixed value in the Master item -  does nothing.  

Also, I see no "color by the measure" option anywhere in properties.  I have attached a screenshot of the measure properties in the chart where I use the master item.  Am I looking in the right spot?

Dave

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @dadumas 

That makes more sense! You are asking about a table, and I had assumed it was a chart.

You need to write code to get colour in your table, and you sadly can't use the Master Measure colours. You need to use the colour expression boxes that you have found in your screenshot.

You can colour either the background or the text, to do it for the text you would have something like:

=if(sum(Value) < 0, rgb(200,0,0), rgb(0,200,0))

If you were looking to do it for the background you would want more pastel shades.

If you want to have gradiated colours you need to look up how to use the ColorMix1 and ColorMix2 functions, but they are not neccessary for a simple +/- colouring.

Hope that helps,

Steve

dadumas
Creator II
Creator II
Author

That does help, so master items segment colors do not work in a tables or pivots.   Yes, I have used that if() logic in QlikView, so would work the same here.

Thanks for noticing this.  

Dave

Dave