Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cfountain72
Creator II
Creator II

Qlik Sense Dimension Selection

Hello,

I am looking to create a filter that allows the user to select a single time frequency for a chart (or charts). Specifically, they would be able to chose from:

Monthly

Weekly

Daily

Day of Week

We already have a Date Dimension table, with the relevant fields (in this case MonYear, Week_Start_Date, DateValue, and Day_Of_Week_Abbreviation. To be clear, I'm not looking to create a drill-down dimension. The user would be able to view measure on a Monthly, Week, etc. basis. 

I've tried a few ways, but they are either clunky or inconsistent. And a container which hides the unselected dimensions isn't very practical for this app.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

(Also, I don't want to use Alterative Dimensions in this case. There will be several charts on the sheet, and the goal is to apply the same dimension to them all for comparison purposes.)

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

Such behaviour could be reached with a dimension-group. Within the first releases of Qlik Sense this feature wasn't included - nowadays I don't know if it's native available or if any extension exists for it.

If not it could be solved with a variable or a selection, for example with an island-table, like:

PeriodDimension:
load * inline [
PeriodDimension
Month
Week
Day
WeekDay
];

applied to a list-box with the always one selected setting and within the objects the dimension could be called with:

[$(=PeriodDimension)]

The values within the table must be of course identically to your field-names.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

2 Replies
marcus_sommer

Such behaviour could be reached with a dimension-group. Within the first releases of Qlik Sense this feature wasn't included - nowadays I don't know if it's native available or if any extension exists for it.

If not it could be solved with a variable or a selection, for example with an island-table, like:

PeriodDimension:
load * inline [
PeriodDimension
Month
Week
Day
WeekDay
];

applied to a list-box with the always one selected setting and within the objects the dimension could be called with:

[$(=PeriodDimension)]

The values within the table must be of course identically to your field-names.

- Marcus

cfountain72
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Works like charm. Thank you Marcus!

That [$(=Something)]  syntax is not intuitive to me, but it seems to be pretty useful.