cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DGO
Contributor III
Contributor III

Sorting pivot table

Will the new version of Qlik Sense Enterprise allow users to sort pivot table dimensions or measures?

Labels (1)
  • sort

8 Replies
TimvB
Creator II
Creator II

Yes, users can sort a pivot table by dimension or measure in Qlik Sense Enterprise. Christof Schwarz has a good video tutorial where he explains how this works.

DGO
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I’ve watched that video. That’s a workaround that takes up valuable screen real estate. I’m asking for a native Qlik solution. My expectation is for the user to be able to click the pivot column headers to sort ascending or descending.

TimvB
Creator II
Creator II

I am afraid this is not possible. The pivot table has multiple dimensions with grouped values, so it does not know by default how to sort.

DGO
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

It’s not possible now. That’s why I bring up this question for the future release of Qlik Sense. Users intuitively click the column headers to sort, but the UI doesn’t respond. It’s possible and I’m confident Qlik can implement a clean solution.
agigliotti
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

I really think it would be a useful feature for end users if it's possible to implement.

@Michael_Tarallo  What do you think about ?

Best regards
Andrea

agigliotti
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Regarding this topic i'd like to share with you the below scenario.

I have a pivot table with 3 dimensions (row) and 1 measure.

First of all , if the dimension value is NULL the related value it's not being sorted and it's always showed on top of the list!

the sorting is the same for all dimensions: by expression (the same as measure) descending

the expected result should be all pivot table levels being sorted in descending order for measure value.

the actual result is the first 2 dimensions are right sorted , while the third one is sorted in unexpected way.

What could be the reason of what's happening ?

Many thanks in advance for your time.

Best regards
Andrea

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Andrea - 

I will pass along this feedback. I too would like to be able to sort in the pivot table. 

Regards,

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

Thanks for the feedback,

Note that the straight table and the pivot table are very different:

Straight table
Row-based approach
Not grouped
The rows are sorted, not necessarily the dimensions
Excellent sorting, but limited grouping
Pivot table
Dimension-based approach
Grouped by dimensions
The dimensions are sorted, not the rows
Excellent grouping, but limited sorting

That said, I hope we can get "Sort by Y-value" in Sense during 2020. Sort by Y-value preceeds the dimension sorting with sorting on the first measure under certain circumstances: only row dimensions, no cross tables and subtotal must be  on.

Thanks,
Patric