Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjamesking
Creator
Creator

UK Post Codes as Geo Data

Hi, 

According to the GeoAnalytics documentation there is support for UK Postcodes as geo data in the default qlik sense maps.  I have a file containing postcodes that I've tried loading through both the script editor and the data manager, it doesn't recognise the field as a geo field. If i go to edit the field data type to geo data I only see a limited list (Counrty, City, ISO code...), no option for postcode. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Matt

6 Replies
Ciara
Creator
Creator

I came here looking for this exact answer (except its Irish postcodes) but nobody has replied 😞 

Did you ever find out how to do this?

mjamesking
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Ciara, 

Yes. But with a bit of research...

I found a file on the internet of UK postcodes along with their latitude and longitude. I think this is something similar for Ireland, though I'm not familiar with the postal code format there.

http://download.geonames.org/export/dump/IE.zip

Columns 5 and 6 contain the lat and lon I think. 

Link this file to your own using the zip/postal code, using a left join for instance, and use

GeoMakePoint(lat, lon) AS [Geo Location] 

When performing the join. 

You should then be able to use this field as a point layer on a map. 

Good luck, if you need a hand let me know.... and happy belated St Patrick's day

Matt

Ciara
Creator
Creator

Hi Matt

Thanks so much for the quick reply.  I'll research your suggestion and see if I can make it work for Ireland. 

Haha it was a very strange St. Patricks day to say the least!! Only God has ever been able to close the pubs here hahaha!

Stay safe and thanks again.

Ciara

mattphillip
Creator II
Creator II

Hi Matt,

Found your post on using UK postcodes for a point layer map in QlikSense. I found the GB file, however, it doesn't seem to contain postcodes that you mention are necessary to join upon. Were you joining on another field or do I have the wrong file?

Sorry I know it's been 3 yrs, but any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

(Also) Matt

padraig
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Hi Matt,

I was able to find https://data.freemaptools.com/download/full-uk-postcodes/ukpostcodes.zip which meets my requirements (link postcode to latitude and longitude).

Hope this helps you too!

mattphillip
Creator II
Creator II

Great thanks!