cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hillarynyawate
Contributor III
Contributor III

USE MANY FUNCTIONS IN ONE DIMENSION OR MEASURE

How can i use many different expressions/functions or conditions in one dimension/ measure without getting a blank on my table or chart?

for example

=if(column1='OP', column2)

=Pick(wildmatch(column_name,'*Medic*','*Consult*', '*Proc*'),'MEDICATION','CONSULTATION','PROCEDURE')

Labels (1)
4 Replies
edwin
Master II
Master II

can you post sample data and expected result?

your first expression will return a NULL when column1 <> 'OP'

if you dont want those rows, just uncheck the option to include NULLS for that dimension field.

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @hillarynyawate 

You can nest many functions in a measure without issue, you just need to be careful with nesting of brackets and commas and the like.

If you have a calculation in a dimension, you always need to wrap this in an aggr function, so if you wanted to show the value of column2 if column1 is OP you would need to have:

=aggr(maxstring(if(column1='OP',column2,column1)), column1, column2)

This is known as a calculated dimensions, but calculated dimensions are generally a bad idea. You would be much better off creating a third column in the load script and then using that as the dimension, like this:

LOAD
   column1,
   column2,
   if(column1 = 'OP', column2, column1) as column3,
   etc.

Always, the more work you can do in the load script the better your application will be.

As @edwin says, sharing more about your data and what you expect to happen will help us help you find a solution.

Steve

hillarynyawate
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I have a column with several strings with i want to use Pick(wildmatch( ) ) function to  replace the common strings with one category name as follows

=Pick(wildmatch(column2,'*Medic*','*Consult*', '*Proc*'),'MEDICATION','CONSULTATION','PROCEDURE')

but also I want to restruct the same column to show only strings that adhere to a condition applied in another column as follows:

=if(column1='OP', column2)

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @hillarynyawate 

You may just be able to nest the two expressions then:

=if(column1='OP', Pick(wildmatch(column2,'*Medic*','*Consult*', '*Proc*'), 'MEDICATION','CONSULTATION','PROCEDURE'))

Steve