Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hadi
Contributor
Contributor

Functionalities of Qlik Data Catalyst comparable to Tableau Prep Builder?

Hi all,

I'm am excited with the launch of Qlik Data Catalyst. Our department is on the verge of purchasing a Qlik Sense license. Hence I would like to know how Qlik Data Catalyst complements Qlik Sense. One downside I found while trying out Qlik Sense is that it relies heavily on scripting to clean, prepare data and create a workflow. Since we don't have much manpower to focus on Qlik Sense, it is counter productive to code in Qlik Sense.

As compared to Tableau, which recently released Tableau Prep Builder, preparing data is much easier due to its GUI and drag and drop interface. Thus  I have several questions and doubts regarding Qlik Data Catalyst.

1)Does it connect to Oracle database 11g?

2)How does it compare with Tableau Prep Builder in preparing, cleaning  data? Can it handle duplicates, zeroes, null values, incomplete data, renaming or creating new fields to differentiate between different tables(multiple instances)?

3)We want to create dashboards in Qlik Sense that is in real time(incremental load) that refreshes every hour. How does data flow from Qlik Data Catalyst to Qlik Sense?

4)Pricing model ? Similar to Qlik Sense's token?

5) How long is the trial period ?

Thanks

Hadi

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Joe_DosSantos
Employee
Employee

Hi Hadi.  These are all really great questions.

In a very broad sense, the Qlik Data Catalyst (QDC) product is different from Tableau Prep Builder in a number of ways.  First, QDC is meant to be a data catalog for all applications, not only Qlik Sense and Qlik View.  Customers use the product to tag and organize data for use in analytics platforms, machine learning platforms, data warehouses, and even other BI tools such as Tableau.  In addition, it focuses on helping customers understand, tag, and secure data by applying governance rules.  For instance, it can understand that a field contains credit card data based on the data format, tag it, and create an obfuscation technique based on governance policy.  Also, it has a shopping cart experience for analytics groups based on their authorization that is quite different from Tableau's approach.  In Q2, QDC will also introduce a way to catalog QVDs.

There is a Prepare portion of the product that compares to the Prep Builder portion that you are describing.  Take a look at the video on the community page under Documents to take a look.  It has the look and feel of an ETL tool and has the ability to execute jobs in Spark/Map Reduce, even custom code.  Your specific question seemed to be about the creation of alternative tables.  QDC tracks any changes that you make and saves the new entity as a separate record and tracks history changes of this new object as it is changed.  You can shop for different versions of this data as required.

With respect to connections, it offers the ability to connect via JDBC to anything including Oracle, provided that it has the credentials.

There is no limitation to updates every hour.  You can put things on a Kafka bus and refresh as required.  You can also publish periodic updates from QDC to QlikSense or to any other downstream target on a schedule.

The pricing model is correlated to how much data you have under management.

Generally speaking, there is not a trial with QDC in the same way that there might be for QlikSense.  There are options for custom demos and pilots that include a different amount of effort and cost that would probably be best to explore with your local sales team.  If you send me a direct message, I can connect you.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Joe_DosSantos
Employee
Employee

Hi Hadi.  These are all really great questions.

In a very broad sense, the Qlik Data Catalyst (QDC) product is different from Tableau Prep Builder in a number of ways.  First, QDC is meant to be a data catalog for all applications, not only Qlik Sense and Qlik View.  Customers use the product to tag and organize data for use in analytics platforms, machine learning platforms, data warehouses, and even other BI tools such as Tableau.  In addition, it focuses on helping customers understand, tag, and secure data by applying governance rules.  For instance, it can understand that a field contains credit card data based on the data format, tag it, and create an obfuscation technique based on governance policy.  Also, it has a shopping cart experience for analytics groups based on their authorization that is quite different from Tableau's approach.  In Q2, QDC will also introduce a way to catalog QVDs.

There is a Prepare portion of the product that compares to the Prep Builder portion that you are describing.  Take a look at the video on the community page under Documents to take a look.  It has the look and feel of an ETL tool and has the ability to execute jobs in Spark/Map Reduce, even custom code.  Your specific question seemed to be about the creation of alternative tables.  QDC tracks any changes that you make and saves the new entity as a separate record and tracks history changes of this new object as it is changed.  You can shop for different versions of this data as required.

With respect to connections, it offers the ability to connect via JDBC to anything including Oracle, provided that it has the credentials.

There is no limitation to updates every hour.  You can put things on a Kafka bus and refresh as required.  You can also publish periodic updates from QDC to QlikSense or to any other downstream target on a schedule.

The pricing model is correlated to how much data you have under management.

Generally speaking, there is not a trial with QDC in the same way that there might be for QlikSense.  There are options for custom demos and pilots that include a different amount of effort and cost that would probably be best to explore with your local sales team.  If you send me a direct message, I can connect you.

navdeepdhadwal
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi team,

I don't see data catalyst listed at partner portal? Please help.

Joe_DosSantos
Employee
Employee

We will be updating the Partner Portal with information, including certification details, within the next 60 days.

navdeepdhadwal
Contributor III
Contributor III

Does that mean it's not generally available to partners? Is there any Beta version for it?