Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blunck-TotalFitouts
Contributor III
Contributor III

Restful API help - complete novice!

Hi everyone 🙂

I am need of some assistance setting up a restful API to our companies job management software, SimPro.

Here is there doco page - https://developer.simprogroup.com/apidoc/?page=57be307ee1bd93b729fdc4c13f15e201

I have attempted, for days now, literally, trying to make a restful API connection to SimPro using the wizard in QlikSense.  But I have failed, too many times to count!

Can someone help me out?

Thanks in advance!

Carl

Labels (1)
7 Replies
Mehrnaz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Carl,

I am not familiar with SimPro. I am pretty new too, but I have created  a couple API  connections in my app successfully. Some simple ones with key and some that required Bearer tokens.

Looking at your API documentations, I see that you need the followings to be added:

Authorization                   you have to check the documentations to see what goes here

Content-Type                   application/json

In one of my POST connections, I have added them under "Query headers" section.

The documentation page seems to have a lot of useful content. It is worth to go through examples in there.

Just a couple things that comes to my mind:

Are you prefixing the following before the endpoint url (<client> should be replaced with the name of whatever server they assigned to your company):

https://<client>.simprosuite.com/api/

Pay attention to the type of call (POST vs GET) If it's a post, you might need to add a body.

When you say "it doesn't work", what exactly doesn't work? I would suggest you try to hit the endpoint using "Postman". If successful, then the endpoint with your key works fine and you just have to fiddle with your script/wizard.

If the API runs fine and the load doesn't work, then the connector works and the script needs a bit of work.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Mehrnaz

Blunck-TotalFitouts
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Mehrnaz,

Thanks for the tips so far! So I can get the connection to work fine through postman (Get) but when trying to make the connection through QlikSense, by using the create new connection wizard, I get the error message:

"HTTP protocol error 401 (Unauthorized): Request resource requires authentication."

I've gone with a basic authentication schema and placed my username and password in the boxes.  Then in the Additional request parameters section, I've got:

Name = access_token

Value = token given to me by SimPro

Do you know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Carl

Blunck-TotalFitouts
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi again,

So I solved this problem, was putting the wrong URL in (lol).  Connection seems to work, but then when I go to load data from the table, this is the script I get... NO IDEA what this means (lol again).  Any info is greatly appreciated!  

The below returns nothing except for a faultString of "Unable able to parse GET request" which I assume means my connection is still not correct...

LIB CONNECT TO 'REST_httpstotalfitouts.simprosuite.comapi';

RestConnectorMasterTable:
SQL SELECT 
"result",
"id",
"__KEY_root",
(SELECT 
"faultCode",
"faultString",
"__FK_error"
FROM "error" FK "__FK_error")
FROM JSON (wrap on) "root" PK "__KEY_root";

[error]:
LOAD [faultCode],
[faultString],
[__FK_error] AS [__KEY_root]
RESIDENT RestConnectorMasterTable
WHERE NOT IsNull([__FK_error]);

[root]:
LOAD [result],
[id],
[__KEY_root]
RESIDENT RestConnectorMasterTable
WHERE NOT IsNull([__KEY_root]);

DROP TABLE RestConnectorMasterTable;
Mehrnaz
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't tried a "GET" yet, but these are what comes to my mind:

Did you add the following as your header also in addition to Authorization:

Name: Content-Type

Value: application/json

And if this doesn't solve it and if you are using "GET", are you passing in parameters into the URL? I remember that in a different environment, I had to convert spaces in my URL into the Hex value 20%, but I am not sure if the same would apply here.

Blunck-TotalFitouts
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks mate - added that in but still same issue unfortunately.

Blunck-TotalFitouts
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks mate - that sort of helps, but response type is JSON not XML and SimPro doesn't appear to accept CSV...