Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SimoSintonen
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Upgrading QDF from 1.3.2 to 1.7.3

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade a very old QDF to the newest version. The version currently in use (1.3.2) seems to be too old for the deploy tool to upgrade.

Is there a way to upgrade the QDF version manually without creating a completely new QDF?

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SimoSintonen
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

It seems the problem was the existence of a container 90.Templates. After deleting this container or changing the number to 91. the new QDF tool found the old QDF and managed to upgrade it.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Vegar
MVP
MVP

You could manually replace the qdf files in all your containers with new ones from from \0.Administration\0.Template\1.ContainerTemplate  in 1.7.3.  

If you have been using custom script or custom variables then make sure to exclude these when replacing files. You should also exclude your ContainerMap.csv

To be excluded:

• 3.Include\1.BaseVariable\4.Custom.qvs
  • 3.Include\1.BaseVariable\Custom.Variables.csv
  • 3.Include\1.BaseVariable\ContainerMap.csv

With this method you will not get rid of old obsolete QDF files, but the framework should be upgraded to the latest version. 

SimoSintonen
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

I replaced the qdf files with the newest ones but The Qlik Deployment Framework application 1.7.3 still can't find the containers at the deploy path.

Which files does the application read to find the containers?

Vegar
MVP
MVP

It sounds like you have issues with your ContainerMap.csv.
Make sure that you did not overwrite.
Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

Also validate if you have a hidden Initlink.qvs file in every container root folder, if not copy this one from a (fresh QDF instance) into every container root folder, and after see if Deploy Tool finds the installation. Regards Magnus

SimoSintonen
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

I replaced the Initlink.qvs files with the ones from a fresh QDF but it didn't fix the issue.

SimoSintonen
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

It doesn't work even when trying with the default containermap.csv with the following information:

Prefix,ContainerName,Comments,AltPath
Admin,0.Administration,Mandatory administration container,
Shared,99.Shared_Folders,Common content storage,
Example,1.Example,Container with basic examples,

Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

Hi, Ive been looking into this again, within your 0.Administration container you need the template folders for this to work, these must have the folder names 0.Template\5.ContainerUpgrades and 0.Template\1.ContainerTemplate (the QDF upgrade files will end up in these folders). you should after point the Deploy tool folder url to the QDF root (the folder above 0.Administration), hope this helps    

SimoSintonen
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Adding the folders didn't fix the issue. I managed to create a new QDF using the old containermap.csv so all I need to do is move the necessary files to the new QDF. I'll look into this more once I have more time.

SimoSintonen
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

It seems the problem was the existence of a container 90.Templates. After deleting this container or changing the number to 91. the new QDF tool found the old QDF and managed to upgrade it.