Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FernandaNava
Partner - Contributor III

Allowing a user to create sheets but not edit load script

Hello,

I would like to know if there is a way in which a user can have access to the Edit Sheet features without being able to edit the load script. I know an analyzer can duplicate and create personal sheets but my requirement right now is for them to be able to edit the main app. This is for a Qlik Sense Enterprise deployment. 

Thank you

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Marc
Employee
Employee

If you have a look at the Default Security Rules in Qlik Sense you will see a rule called "Stream"

this Grants the user the Read Action for Apps & AppObjects published within a Stream they have Read Access to.

However it Prevents Access to the App Script & Load Model. Which is why by default you cannot see the Script on a Published App.

@Andre_Sostizzo has published a KB on how this could be achieved.

Note: you can only Read the Script if you have both Read & Update permissions, Probably not great for a Production App. 

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Security-Rule-Example-Allow-access-to-Data-Load-Editor-...

View solution in original post

5 Replies
PadmaPriya
Support
Support

Hello @FernandaNava 

Published apps in Qlik Sense are not editable.

Try like this:

1. Publish the app to stream (with or without task)

2. Duplicate the app and edit the duplicate in 'my work' area of hub

3. When publishing the duplicated and updated copy of the app , elect to 'replace' an existing app

Then nothing is lost that was tied to the original published version (personal content, tasks..).  you are just bringing in new approved sheets, bookmarks and stories and a new load script.

Then, You should try the "Data Load Editor" for the UNpublished app. Thus the one you created by making a duplicate, accessible through "My Work". You should be able to edit that script, until the point where you publish (and replace) that one over the original.

If that doesn't work, you might have insufficient rights on that particular document. Check that app's security access rule, and your user and roles.

Disable edit in a published app is probably done by design, to prevent that your (auto)save of an Application's intermediate state immediately shows up for the users analyzing in the LIVE version of that app.

You do have to be careful though that you don't change the app in such a way that it breaks users work.  Ways of doing this will be to delete (or break) Master Dimensions or Measures, or modify the data model.

Thanks,

Padma Priya

Senior Technical Support Engineer-Qlik Support

Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you! If already marked, give it a thumbs up!
Or
MVP
MVP

@PadmaPriya wrote:

Hello @FernandaNava 

Published apps in Qlik Sense are not editable.

Hi  @PadmaPriya ,

I don't believe that statement is accurate. Edit permissions can be given to people for published apps using security rules, or at least - that was the case in multiple prior versions of Qlik Sense Enterprise.

However, I think the question asked by @FernandaNava  (and which I am also interested in if I understood is correctly) is whether we can allow someone to edit an app's layout, without also allowing them to edit the app's script. At least from my perspective, if they can VIEW the script that's fine, but I don't want them to edit the script, and it doesn't matter whether this is done in the published app or in a duplicated app. I can prevent people from running load scripts by not giving them permissions to the underlying data connections, but in that scenario they can still edit the load script and potentially break it.

FernandaNava
Author

Yes, thank you, this is exactly whay I'm asking. I know you can give or deny permission for a user to publish apps but I was wondering specifically about the load script. 

Marc
Employee
Employee

If you have a look at the Default Security Rules in Qlik Sense you will see a rule called "Stream"

this Grants the user the Read Action for Apps & AppObjects published within a Stream they have Read Access to.

However it Prevents Access to the App Script & Load Model. Which is why by default you cannot see the Script on a Published App.

@Andre_Sostizzo has published a KB on how this could be achieved.

Note: you can only Read the Script if you have both Read & Update permissions, Probably not great for a Production App. 

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Security-Rule-Example-Allow-access-to-Data-Load-Editor-...

FernandaNava
Author

Thanks everyone for your contribution. I ended up using the security rules to allow users to publish and approve/unapprove sheets, so now they can add them themselves to the "base" sheets. I don't love this workaround but it's the best I could think of to avoid giving access to the data load editor.