Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbespartochnyy
Creator III
Creator III

Can a tag be accessed and used in conditions of a security rule?

Tags can be applied to app objects (particularly sheets), while custom properties cannot be. To accommodate for that, I'm going for is something like this:

Tags in Conditions.png

I'm trying to make all sheets that don't have a tag be accessible and sheets with tags to be off limits unless a user has a tag that's matching sheet tag. This rule doesn't work but it demonstrates the rough idea.

I do want to mention that I have done my research and have seen and read through:

• Available resource conditions
    • Doesn't list tags as available options
  • Qlik Sense Sheet Level Security using Tags
    • Marked a response as a solution but the response is suggesting the use of custom properties which cannot be applied to a sheet.
  • Sheet level Section Access in Qlik Sense ??
    • Suggests relying on sheet name which is ok but I'd rather use an attribute that's not visible to users and can be shared among different apps. Yes, I know a portion of a name like "restricted" can be shared among different apps, but still if it's an expense report sheet, I'd prefer to have it named "Expense Report" and not "Expense Report - Restricted" if at all possible. Saves me from explaining to users what the whole "Restricted" part is all about.
  • STT - Extending the Power of Qlik Sense with Rules
    • Excellent webinar! Also suggests use of sheet names though.

All that aside, has anyone been able to accomplish constructing security rules using tags or have been able to accomplish sheet-level security without using sheet names?

Mikhail B.

Labels (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rubenmarin

Hi @mbespartochnyy, so far I know tags are only used for searchs or filters in qmc lists but can't be used in security rules.

And you need to use a prefix, sufix or something in the name of the sheet to restrict access. It can be very messy when you have to give access to some user to some sheets and other users to different sheets in the same app.

There is also the option to create a mashup but that will need a lot of work and somewhat high web development skills.

Hope other user can give us a better answer. I would like to have somethig like we had in QlikView where each sheet has a 'visible condition' and section access can be used to give access to each user.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
rubenmarin

Hi @mbespartochnyy, so far I know tags are only used for searchs or filters in qmc lists but can't be used in security rules.

And you need to use a prefix, sufix or something in the name of the sheet to restrict access. It can be very messy when you have to give access to some user to some sheets and other users to different sheets in the same app.

There is also the option to create a mashup but that will need a lot of work and somewhat high web development skills.

Hope other user can give us a better answer. I would like to have somethig like we had in QlikView where each sheet has a 'visible condition' and section access can be used to give access to each user.

mbespartochnyy
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Yes, that conditional show in QlikView is a convenient feature, I was using that often. I'll leave the question open for now in case someone will have a good solution, but I did end up using sheet names as a way to control sheet visibility.

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

@mbespartochnyy What I would recommend on this one is one of two things.  It appears you exhausted the Help Doc content pretty well from what I can see, if something is not clear there, you can use the Feedback dialog on the associated page to send the Doc Team a request for additional information to be added etc...  The second option is if this appears to be a feature gap, I would recommend using the Ideas area of Community to check to see if someone has already put up this Idea, and if so, vote for it there, but if nothing there, go ahead and create a new one for this.

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Ideas/idb-p/qlik-ideas

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
mbespartochnyy
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks for the reply Brett! It looks like someone already beat me to it. Here's a link to submitted idea around this topic. If you've stumbled on this post because you were looking for a way to establish sheet-level security, please give that idea a like to give it more exposure.

After doing a bit more research and understanding roles of tags it really doesn't seem like an appropriate attribute to use for security rules, but a custom property is. The real challenge that I'm facing is sheet-level access. Use of custom properties for that seems the best approach, but unfortunately custom properties can't be applied to app objects.

I'll close this question with answer to it being No, tags can't be used in security rules and, as I mentioned in my other reply, sheet names is what I decided to go with as it seems to be the best available option right now.