Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gQlikR
Contributor
Contributor

Can you assign multiple QMC users the same QMC portal username/password?

Hello QMC v12.26.1 users,

I'm kind of new to QMC and I have a quick question....

1. If I add multiple users to the QMC portal; can I have these multiple QMC users utilize the same QMC portal username/password; or is this not possible in Qlik Management Console v12.26.1?

2. Or can multiple users in QMC (All with different usernames.) have the same password?

3. What if I create a User Group in QMC; is it possible to have two or more users have the same username and password?

I'm getting the impression from my research that all users in the QMC must have separate usernames and passwords regardless of the situation; even in a User Group setting; but if I'm wrong about this please chime in....

Thank you in advance for your response(s).

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
treysmithdev
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Qlik doesn't have it's own authentication module. You can't create a user. Qlik uses an external directory to authenticate against when someone logs in. Some examples are Active Directory, Windows Local Users, LDAP, etc..

So with that said, you can have two users with the same name from different directories. For example, US\John.Smith & ADFS\John.Smith. These two people will be recognized as two different users and will each get authenticated differently based on their domain, though they will need to include that in their login.

To answer your question about passwords, this will rely on your directory and in most cases users can have the same password.

Lastly, why would you want to have two users with the same name/password? I don't see how you could have a two users with the same username and password and be recognized differently in any system.

Blog: WhereClause   Twitter: @treysmithdev

View solution in original post

2 Replies
treysmithdev
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Qlik doesn't have it's own authentication module. You can't create a user. Qlik uses an external directory to authenticate against when someone logs in. Some examples are Active Directory, Windows Local Users, LDAP, etc..

So with that said, you can have two users with the same name from different directories. For example, US\John.Smith & ADFS\John.Smith. These two people will be recognized as two different users and will each get authenticated differently based on their domain, though they will need to include that in their login.

To answer your question about passwords, this will rely on your directory and in most cases users can have the same password.

Lastly, why would you want to have two users with the same name/password? I don't see how you could have a two users with the same username and password and be recognized differently in any system.

Blog: WhereClause   Twitter: @treysmithdev
gQlikR
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thank you treysmithdev for your communication and input advice; well appreciated.

I inherent the task of maintaining the QMC for Qlik Sense users and apps.  So I'm diving in; and after some informative research I understand your logic on my concerned issue here.

But the person who has access to the QMC (Before I arrived.) is challenged with QMC.  The person was challenged with....

1. Not being able to see particular users (Their domain\usernames were not in the QMC at all.) to be able to at least grant some type of token access.

Solution: I checked the 'User Directory Connectors' for the Active Directory type....and 'User Sync Settings>Sync      User Data for Existing Users' check box option was checked; I unchecked this box and synced again and all the      domain of users were available.

2. ..wanting a group of users and wanted them to all have the same username and password to access certain streams. 

Solution: But what I did was (After researching.) created a Custom Properties group (Adding the particular users);      and I set up a security rule for the particular streams to include only these group of users for read only access in      the hub only; and the preview audit checked out as well.  

But again thank you Trey Smith for shedding some light on this situation.