Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Skage
Partner - Contributor III

I'm running into failed to grant "Login as a service" when upgrading Qlik Sense client-managed

Hi all!

This is something I've run into a lot lately and I've never experienced this previously.

It doesn't matter if I log in to a server with the ad-service-account, the same account Sense is running as and used for all previous installs/upgrades or a local admin account.

For several machines the installer can't get passed the account&password for the services despite the account was setup by IT as a service-account.

Skage_0-1696338367977.png

It doesn't help to do the following
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/scsm/enable-service-log-on-sm?view=sc-sm-2022 even after restart of the machine. Trying to update the password for one of the Qlik services will trigger a dialog where it say that it is granted and the link above show where this can be checked but still the installer will not validate the password.

Also this IS an ad-service-account used for many many years so shouldn't the ad-privileges win over local settings(that doesn't work anyway)?

At one customer where I was logged in as a local admin I could do a run-as the service-account with the installer and it worked.  

Can anyone shed some light on what's going on, why so many right now and how to fix this?

TIA!

/lars

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Skage
Author

I think I know why.

The length of the account name (<domain>\<name>) seems to be the issue. If the length is over 20 characters then a different notation must be used <name>@<domain>. So for an upgrade each service must be updated to use this format.

This has worked for most upgrades but not all but that might be caused by other issues.

These environments are old installations where some have had the latest update with the May 2023 release. All of a sudden many upgrades get this problem.

This is documented but the text isn't really clear.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Skage
Author

I think I know why.

The length of the account name (<domain>\<name>) seems to be the issue. If the length is over 20 characters then a different notation must be used <name>@<domain>. So for an upgrade each service must be updated to use this format.

This has worked for most upgrades but not all but that might be caused by other issues.

These environments are old installations where some have had the latest update with the May 2023 release. All of a sudden many upgrades get this problem.

This is documented but the text isn't really clear.