cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clarkkent1906
Contributor II
Contributor II

Installing multiple RIM Nodes at the same time

We recently upgrade an environment to QLIK Sense Enterprise version FEB 2022 Patch 1 (14.54.4).

We have 1 central node and 11 rim nodes sitting on Windows 2016 servers.

Attempted to install the version on 3 rim nodes at the same time and discovered errors when they tried to communicate with the central node repository. We stopped and restarted the central node services and then began to install the version on each rim node one at time and the errors were resolved. 

The question: Does QLIK Sense have a limitation where only one rim node can be installed at a time? Why is there a limit to how many rim nodes can be installed in parallel?

And advice or information much appreciated. Thanks.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Eugene_Sleator
Support
Support

Hi @clarkkent1906  you are right that this is not possible to do in parallel. Please refer to this article where is is clearly explained that the upgrade should be done offline starting with the central node then the individual Rim nodes. Multi-node deployments 

View solution in original post

10 Replies
rohitk1609
Master
Master

I don't think so any restriction is there. I mean how do anyone server know what is happening on other server. 

Question is, do installation setup fails or adding node to central server fails? what installation log says?

clarkkent1906
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

One of the logs was throwing .NET and MSI errors but that wasn't the source of the issue.

Another error message was relaying to the fact that the rim node could not reach the database repository.

We've deduced that the server/central node could not handle multiple rim nodes trying to communicate at the same time. Once we did them one by one, then brought their services up, they all communicated and ran properly.

This appears to be a QLIK Sense limitation in some aspect.

Albert_Candelario

Hello @clarkkent1906 ,

Thanks for posting.

I just tested by upgrading 2 RIM nodes at the same time from February 2021 to May 2022 and I had no issues at all.

Could you kindly add such errors if possible so we can have a look?

It could have been that somehow the database had already a lot of connections opened when attempting to do so?

I'll try to test with 3 RIM nodes at the same time, but is the first time I do heard from this kind of topic reported, but let's have a look at it.

Cheers,

Albert

Please, remember to mark the thread as solved once getting the correct answer
clarkkent1906
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

To clarify: It was FEB 2021 Patch 1 to FEB 2022 Patch 1 (14.54.4) and it was 3 rim nodes at the same time trying to communicate with the central node.

clarkkent1906
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I still have yet to receive a definitive answer as to if QLIK Sense can allow multiple instances of rim nodes to be installed in parallel and call to the central node. We've deduced that this is not possible. And that only one rim node at a time is the way to handle the installs.

Eugene_Sleator
Support
Support

Hi @clarkkent1906  you are right that this is not possible to do in parallel. Please refer to this article where is is clearly explained that the upgrade should be done offline starting with the central node then the individual Rim nodes. Multi-node deployments 

clarkkent1906
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

You are repeating what we already know and was discussed. I was just trying to confirm if it was possible or not to run installs on multiple rim nodes at the same time after the central node was in place. This topic can pretty much be closed at this point. Thank you all for your contributions. 

sri_c003
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

I tried cluster with 3 nodes via silent install - install central, install rim(s) pretty much in parallel, configure central to talk to each node sequentially to set up the cluster environment. Make sure to restart rim nodes post qlik install before running configuration on central node. Configuration was done via Java program that internally uses powershell for distributing certs and qrs api for other items like security rules, virtual proxies and such.

clarkkent1906
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

The key word being "sequentially". So that tells me no matter how you handle the task, the rim nodes need to be done one at a time. Thanks for the Java/Powershell tip, though!