Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aniketvasadkar_eq
Contributor III
Contributor III

NPrinting Server connection to QlikView document is not working

Hi All, 

We are facing issue while creating connection in NPrinting to QlikView document on same server using connection type server.

QlikView Version: May 2021 SR2
Qlik Desktop Version: May 2021 SR1 (Thought SR version differs, I had tested with SR2 with same result)
NPrinting Version: Qlik NPrinting May 2021 SR2

QlikView and NPrinting runs on same server and currently we are using local connection and giving windows path to document like "D:\QlikView\Doc.qvw"

If I look into NPrinting Engine logs I get below

Evaluation of step QlikViewQVSMachineIsReachable for connection string navigator=qlikview;documentpath=qvp://hostname/XXXX/Test.qvw;qlikviewversion=12.60.20100 failed. System.Exception: Authentication Failed↵↓↵↓Server stack trace: ↵↓ at QlikTech.NetClient.QvClient.Open()↵↓ at Qlik.QlikView.Interfaces.ServerAPI.QlikViewServer.QvServer..ctor(String host, Mode mode, Boolean https, String ticket) in C:\Jws\release-may2021-QJBWLpX4f\server\NPrinting\src\Engine.Navigator.QlikView\QVx\Qlik.QlikView11\ServerAPI\QlikViewServer.QvServer.cs:line 29↵↓↵↓Exception rethrown at [0]: ↵↓ at 

Main reason to raise this ticket is to avoid below.
Recently we came across issue where we manually changed QVW file(load script change) and then reloaded the document via QMC. After that NPrinting was triggered using Rest API but NPrinting report was not picking latest
data until we reloaded connection metadata.

Thanks
Aniket

Labels (1)
12 Replies
Albert_Candelario

Hello @aniketvasadkar_eq ,

As the error mentions about authentication failed. 

What kind of authentication is used on the QlikView server?

Is the connection also failing if using the local path? (as the error shows a qvp connection)

To get the latest data on the reports you first need to reload the metadata, so reloading the task without reloading the metadata will not show the latest data.

Also are you using NTFS or DMS?

As a reminder:

• NTFS mode makes use of Windows file system security and all authorization information is stored on Windows file level. This means only Windows users can access the QlikView documents.
  • DMS mode, on the other hand, allows for QlikView itself to store authorization information. Unlike NTFS, this allows non-Windows users and groups to be authorized.

Cheers,

Albert

Please, remember to mark the thread as solved once getting the correct answer
aniketvasadkar_eq
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi @Albert_Candelario 

1. What kind of authentication is used on the QlikView server? 

>>> QlikView Server uses NTFS authorisation

2.  Connection is NOT failing for local path 

3. We are using NTLM authentication

One confusion, as currently we are using local connection type in NPrinting(as server connection is not working).

Do you mean after every reload of QVW document which triggers NPrinting we need to manually go reload metadata for connection and then trigger publish tasks? 

There are two scenarios

Case 1: QVW reloads via task in QMC

Case 2: We manually change something in QVW like change in load script.

When to reload metadata on NPrinting side ? I guess only in "case 2"

In case 1 it should work and fetch data of its reload via qmc task.

Note: When I say data it is data fetched by SQL.

Please advice. 

Thanks

Aniket

Albert_Candelario

In both cases you need to reload the metadata to get the latest data on your NPrinting reports.

Kindly see the Qlik Help explanation:

"Connection metadata contains information about the data and structures of linked QlikView documents or Qlik Sense apps.

Qlik NPrinting automatically uploads metadata when a new connection is created. Metadata must also be updated whenever you change the data structure or content of QlikView documents or Qlik Sense apps connected to Qlik NPrinting. This ensures that Qlik NPrinting is aware of these changes.

After the metadata is reloaded, all instances of QV.exe and reporting_web_renderer.exe that are running on Qlik NPrinting Engines associated with the connection will automatically stop and restart to update them. Existing reports are not automatically re-run, so they may contain old data. Reports executed after a metadata reload will show the updated data."

I hope this clarifies it.

For the Server connection, are you getting error while running the metadata on the UI? are you putting an specific user on the connection? is the service account of NPrinting able to open QlikView Desktop and do a "open in server" to that document? 

This will help to narrow down the issue.

Cheers,

Albert

aniketvasadkar_eq
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi @Albert_Candelario ,

1. For the Server connection, are you getting error while running the metadata on the UI?

>>> I am getting error when I run "Run Verification" during connection creation. we have not reached reload metadata step for server connections.

2. Are you putting an specific user on the connection ?

>> No we are not putting any specific user

3.  is the service account of NPrinting able to open QlikView Desktop and do a "open in server" to that document

>> I am facing issues while connecting to QlikView server from QlikView Desktop as well(Open in server approach). Whenever I try "Open in Server" with NT Identity it gives me error pop up saying below message

"Connect to server is ok. No reply received. Switching to HTTPS tunnelling. Security settings denies access".

At the same time I get below message in Windows System events

"An TLS 1.0 connection request was received from a remote client application, but none of the cipher suites supported by the client application are supported by the server. The TLS connection request has failed."

Our servers does not support TLS 1.0 ciphers. Is there a way to force Qlik to use TLS 1.2 Ciphers.

I have already consulted with our IT and they are saying TLS 1.0 Ciphers are not secure and as per company policy it will not be possible to use TLS 1.0 Ciphers 

---------------------------------

If I use Alternate identity way on Qlik Desktop to connect and provide service user credentials At least I am able to connect.

Thanks

Aniket

Albert_Candelario

Regarding this point:

"If I use Alternate identity way on Qlik Desktop to connect and provide service user credentials At least I am able to connect."

I do understand you mean by using the service user credentials of the QlikView server, is that accurate?

As on point 3 you said it fails for the NPrinting service account.

Cheers,

Albert

aniketvasadkar_eq
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi @Albert_Candelario ,

Yes, it is QlikView Service account only. In our configuration QlikView and NPrinting runs on same server with same service account.

One thing I missed to mention >>  

This configuration was working on our old production and working on current prod also except server connection for NPrinting. To give you context we recently migrated/upgraded our prod env to new servers where we installed latest QlikView and NPrinting on brand new servers and migrated all required things.

Thanks

Aniket

Albert_Candelario

I am a bit confused now.

You mentioned:

"3.  is the service account of NPrinting able to open QlikView Desktop and do a "open in server" to that document

>> I am facing issues while connecting to QlikView server from QlikView Desktop as well(Open in server approach). Whenever I try "Open in Server" with NT Identity it gives me error pop up saying below message"

But then that it was working with the QlikView server service account and afterwards you have mentioned the NPrinting and the QlikView server uses the same service account.

Nevertheless I would check:
QlikView Client connection fails with Connected se... - Qlik Community - 1716863 and Solved: Connected to Server Ok, Security Settings Denies A... - Qlik Community - 1062163
and try to specify the user account on the connection when running or verifying the connection and let us know its outcome.

Thanks for providing the context too!

Cheers,

Albert

aniketvasadkar_eq
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi @Albert_Candelario ,

Apologies for the confusion.

We are using same service account for QlikView and NPrinting to run the services so whether I call it NPrinting service user or QlikView its the same account. 

When I say this worked it was the same service account  and pwd used with "Alternate Identity" as an option but it does not work with "NT-Identity". Definition of worked is "Open in Server via QlikView Desktop". 

"Open in server" is one of troubleshooting step we have on one of help/ community pages.

"Server type Connection to QVW on NPrinting create connection UI never worked !!!" 

Thanks

Aniket

aniketvasadkar_eq
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi @Albert_Candelario ,

1. I increased timeout on QlikView desktop but getting same message for NT-Identity. I get TLS Cipher error message in Windows System logs as below

>> "An TLS 1.0 connection request was received from a remote client application, but none of the cipher suites supported by the client application are supported by the server. The TLS connection request has failed."

2. On UI while creating connection I checked "Connection requires Authentication" and provided service user account  but still it says Server not reachable. And I get below message in log file.

Evaluation of step QlikViewQVSMachineIsReachable for connection string navigator=qlikview;documentpath=qvp://hostname/XXXX/Test.qvw;qlikviewversion=12.60.20100 failed. System.Exception: Authentication Failed↵↓↵↓Server stack trace: ↵↓ at QlikTech.NetClient.QvClient.Open()↵↓ at Qlik.QlikView.Interfaces.ServerAPI.QlikViewServer.QvServer..ctor(String host, Mode mode, Boolean https, String ticket) in C:\Jws\release-may2021-QJBWLpX4f\server\NPrinting\src\Engine.Navigator.QlikView\QVx\Qlik.QlikView11\ServerAPI\QlikViewServer.QvServer.cs:line 29↵↓↵↓Exception rethrown at [0]: ↵↓ at

Thanks

Aniket