Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matKa
Contributor III
Contributor III

Qlik Sense: Autoscaling VMs in Azure

I plan to optimize the use of my virtual machine in Azure. Currently I have a single node deployment. Whenever I miscalculate the needs of the server and RAM or CPU overflows I need to turn off the VM to change size. Then when there is a low traffic I have a big sized VM which isn't used even in it's half potential.

In Azure there is something called autoscale which automatically adds VM nodes of the same size when the threshold is met either to size up or down the scale of VMs. I can't find anything about it in the Qlik Community. I'm not sure if it's possible and how it really works. Would I need to configure everything everytime a new VM node is added or removed? Seems pointless then.

I am also thinking about creating a two node deployment and writing a powershell script which would change the size of the second VM based on the RAM and CPU use. Every time a VM is resized it must be restarted but with two node system Qlik Sense should be still running if one VM is restarted, right? 

I'd really appreciate any input in this matter. 

Labels (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bastien_Laugiero

Hello,

I have not tested it myself but there are two types of auto scale in Azure:

• Scale Up = Adding resource to existing VMs
  • Scale Out = Adding additional VMs to your environment

Regarding scaling up, I believe you will at least need to restart your Qlik Sense Engine service so that it can pick up the updated resources.

Regarding scaling out, you could leverage the silent install feature with the QRS API to automatically deploy Qlik Sense and add it to your environment configured. Idea is that once a a new VM is added to your Azure Cluster, a post install script will be launched to install and deploy Qlik Sense. A few resource that could help you:

Hope this helps!

Bastien Laugiero
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Bastien_Laugiero

Hello,

I have not tested it myself but there are two types of auto scale in Azure:

• Scale Up = Adding resource to existing VMs
  • Scale Out = Adding additional VMs to your environment

Regarding scaling up, I believe you will at least need to restart your Qlik Sense Engine service so that it can pick up the updated resources.

Regarding scaling out, you could leverage the silent install feature with the QRS API to automatically deploy Qlik Sense and add it to your environment configured. Idea is that once a a new VM is added to your Azure Cluster, a post install script will be launched to install and deploy Qlik Sense. A few resource that could help you:

Hope this helps!

Bastien Laugiero
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT.