cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robinrouleur
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Qlik Sense SaaS DataFile duplicate problem

Hi, the following appears to be bug in the Qlik Cloud platform, does anyone know the status of it

When we duplicate a data file in our SaaS Space's "Data sources" area, it creates a copy with the name prefixed by "Copy - ".  After duplication, there is no option to rename it.  However, if we go back to the Space's "Data" area we can rename the file via the three dots under Actions>Edit.   This appears to work, but when we go back to "Data sources" it still has the "Copy - " prefix.  This is also the case in the Data load editor under Data connections > DataFiles, which means any app that needs to load the copy fails.

We want to use data file duplication as part of our deployment from DEV to UAT to PRD, and also for creating new apps from a framework in a different space, so it is quite important.  Our current work-around it to use an external repository and upload to spaces separately.  We would prefer to upload to dev only and copy from there so the deployment process is the same for apps and datafiles.

Also, there appears to be no way to export a data file, like there is for apps?

With Apps, this all works intuitively.  It would be great if it was the same for Data files!

Labels (1)
  • SaaS

3 Replies
pedrobergo
Employee
Employee

Hi @robinrouleur ,

Until now, Qlik SaaS doesn't allow changing the datafile physical name. You can change the logical name at Catalog, but not the physical. You can also delete or move it to another space, and you can't download it.

I suggest you create a qlik app to read the original datafile and storing it at any destination. 

A question that I'm thinking about it is why do you need to duplicate the datafiles? You need to copy the apps, but datafiles should be different from PRD, UAT and DEV, so instead you copy it, you should to upload new datafiles. And if are the same, you don't need to copy, but centralize them into an unique space datafiles and point the source to it. 

[],

Pedro

robinrouleur
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Pedro

Thx for your response.  You asked why and it's a fair question 🙂  It's often just easier to copy files around within the platform, particularly when developing and working in teams.  I'm mainly talking about include files such as settings and subroutines etc.  E.g. a colleague wanted one of my include files and didn't have access to my repository.  I either have to email it to him or find some other way.  It would be much simpler to be able to say, just copy it from my space and adapt it to suit.  The platform actually supports copy (duplicate), move between spaces, rename and delete functions for data files (though not very intuitively).  It's just that the renaming only changes the name you refer to as the logical name.  The underlying name remains "Copy - originalfilename".  This has to be a bug!

You're right that exporting/downloading data files is not supported.  It would be nice if it was but not a high priority for me.  The one other thing that would be very useful is the ability to view, and preferably edit, a text file on the platform.  I often want to make a minor change for testing purposes, or simply validate that I have the correct version of the file in place (particularly when debugging).

pedrobergo
Employee
Employee

Hi @robinrouleur 

I need to mention you that SaaS Catalog was originate from PodiumData (and now called Qlik Catalog), wich has the logical and physical separation.

You have some good ideas: Edit Text Files (maybe more file types) directly inside the platform and unify logical and physical names. Post them at ideas suggestion !

But today, you can create a shared space to store your team's shared files or create an app to save it in any destination.

[],

Pedro