cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andrew_smith200
Contributor III
Contributor III

QlikSense Installation Feb 2020 failure - be warned

Ok - so I wanted to update QlikSense Enterprise Nov 2019 to QlikSense Enterprise 2020. I duly hit the upgrade button and it got so far before stopping with the error message - 'Not enough space available on the C: drive. 

OK i thought - I will make some more space on the C: drive and then try again. It turned out that the pagefile.sys file had taken an inordinate amount of space. So I reset the file and had to restart the server to pick up the new settings.

So..tried the upgrade again - immediately failed. Tried to install Nov 2019 version - immediately failed. Tried several times again  -still failed - the only thing it suggested was running in silent mode. So tried that and that didn't even start.

I tried various things such as removing the default folders (I backed them up first), looking through the registry but nothing appeared untoward.

So there I was with QlikSense enterprise serving 350 users and not able to run.

Thankfully the server had been backed up 48 hours before - so I had to use that as an image and overwrite the server losing any updates from the last 48 hours.

I would have expected  the software to test for all of the prerequisites such as space before starting any kind of upgrade , but it looks like it doesn't until it is too late..and then changes something that is irreversible .. not good.

Salutatory lesson - take a back up directly before upgrading (or try on a mirrored ref environment before hand)..and secondly make sure that the C: drive has sufficient space (look at your pagefile.sys file and adjust as necessary but don't do that after a software installation failure!)

...now what do I do to install Feb 2020

Labels (4)
1 Reply
Andre_Sostizzo
Digital Support
Digital Support

@andrew_smith200, I would start with looking at the install logs. From your post it looks like the initial failure put the server in bad state? so even after reducing the page file size and re-trying it failed (but with a different error?).

https://support.qlik.com/articles/000048979

Feel free to provide screenshots too.

Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you! If already marked, give it a thumbs up! 🙂