Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
waleeed_mahmood
Creator
Creator

QlikSense Update Failed

Hello,

I am updating QS from June 202 Patch 3 to November 2020 update but so far i am unable to.

Any help would be appreciated. Please see attached the logfile. Please let me know if you need me to attach the engine log file as well.

Thank you.

@Bastien_Laugiero 

7 Replies
Bastien_Laugiero

Hi, 

Thanks for reaching out! 

The current logs basically indicates that the Engine.msi was launched but does not give a clear status of where it is at. 

In C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Temp you should find a logs named like: Qlik_Sense_<version>_<Timestampt>_Engine.log

This one should give a clear status on whether it's doing something or stuck somewhere.

<username> needs to be changed with the user running the upgrade.

Another idea would be to run the upgrade with a different user (Admin of the server) to make sure the issue is not related to some user profile issue. 

Hope this helps!

Bastien Laugiero
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT.
waleeed_mahmood
Creator
Creator
Author

Hello Bastien,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I was initially running this one a user profile but i changed it to Admin profile. However, the issue is still there. I have attached the engine.log file for your reference.

Thank you.

Bastien_Laugiero

Hi, 

I may have found your issue. 

In the engine logs the last information we get is the following: 

MSI (s) (AC:28) [21:33:51:391]: Note: 1: 2203 2: C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{03C35A05-3FE3-485D-9688-B33CA0B68FB5}v13.82.4\Engine.msi 3: -2147287038

MSI (s) (AC:28) [21:33:51:391]: SOURCEMGMT: Source is invalid due to missing/inaccessible package

The engine.msi is the one provided in the Qlik Sense June 2020 Initial release package. 

Could you check if this path exist?

• If it exist, then probably the user running the upgrade does not have permission to access it
  • If it does not, you may want to recreate this path. You can extract the engine.msi from Qlik Sense June 2020 Initial Release using https://support.qlik.com/articles/000022820

Hope this helps! 

Bastien Laugiero
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT.
waleeed_mahmood
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Bastien,

I followed the steps and placed Engine.msi in the folder specified in the logs. However, the error is till there saying the product code doesnt match. I downloaded a new June 2020 .exe file from Qlik Portal and ran the command on it to generate the .msi files.

I have attached the logs again for your reference.

Thank you

Bastien_Laugiero

Hello and thanks for the feedback!

Really not sure why it would throw that error but I have done a quick test removing the Engine.msi in my environment and I could get it back back after running a Repair of my installation. So here are the steps I would suggest:

• Remove the Engine.msi you have created in the previous attempt
  • Remove manually the Qlik Sense Patch you have installed https://support.qlik.com/articles/000038759
  • Run the Qlik Sense June 2020 Initial Release setup.exe and select Repair
  • Wait for the Repair to be completed and check if the Engine.msi got recreated
  • Run the upgrade to November 2020

If this does not work my last suggestion would be to uninstall Qlik Sense but keeping the database and certificates and then reinstall it. The installer will recognize the database and reconnect to it. If you have to do that make sure you take a backup of your environment as well as a Virtual Machine snapshot if applicable. 

Hope this helps!

Bastien Laugiero
waleeed_mahmood
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Bastien,

So i tried the steps above. i have gotten a pretty weird response. it gives me the following error message:

"A more recent version of Qlik Sense is already installed. If you still want to install this version, please uninstall the current version first and then re-run this setup. Click Close to close this dialog."

November 2020 was never completed. When i run the November 2020 again, it doesnt say it is already installed. it says the newer version (Nov 2020) will be installed.

I checked my installed programs list, Nov 2020 is there along with June 2020. but other than the Tools folder in C:\ProgramFiles\Qlik\Sense, no other folder has the new date. I ran the Nov 2020 update a few times but it never went past "Upgrading Engine" stage.

I have attached the only Log file i got this time.

Thank you for your help so far.

Bastien_Laugiero

Hi!

Thanks for the feedback and very sorry that none of steps resolved your issue. 

At this point I would suggest to open a support case to get a support engineer working with you on this issue and eventually have a remote session on this environment. 

I suspect something is incorrect in the registry which would require some clean up.

Bastien Laugiero