Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question of Database table access restriction via Qlik Sense

Question on User Authorization.  Is there a way I can enable only a set of tables for a database connection using qlik sense data connector? In other words, is there a way Qlik Sense will help in whitelisting a set of tables for a Database connection based on the logged in user? I wanted to restrict a set of user from accessing tables that they are not supposed to see for a given database connection when they are trying to load data and create reports.

I don't want to create a database user id for each set of users and control the access of the tables in the Database.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

If you want to restrict access of developers of Qlik Sense apps to source database tables then you need to create several connections to the source database and set permissions on the connections. If you want to restrict access to data in apps for different users then you can use section access in the apps. Or perhaps create different front end apps for the different groups of users and load only the data they're allowed to access in those front end apps.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

If you want to restrict access of developers of Qlik Sense apps to source database tables then you need to create several connections to the source database and set permissions on the connections. If you want to restrict access to data in apps for different users then you can use section access in the apps. Or perhaps create different front end apps for the different groups of users and load only the data they're allowed to access in those front end apps.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks gysbert. How exactly do I set permissions on the connector to allow access to a set of tables? I do not see any options when I edit the connection nor in QMC. All I can do is have a set of security rules to dictate who can access the data connection.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Yes, that's how you do it. Specify which database user should be used to connect with the database. Authorize that user in the database for only the tables that should accessed. Define security rules for the connection.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Well, that would mean that I need to create different database user ids which have the required restriction and different qlik sense connections will use different db user ids. But this is something that I wanted to avoid.