Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbespartochnyy
Creator III
Creator III

Where is the Computer host name being used and under which conditions would a name other than server name be specified during Qlik Sense installation?

During Qlik Sense installation, there is this screen which is asking to specify a computer host name:

Select the host name.png 

I read through Installing Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows on a single node documentation but it doesn't explain when I would want to use a computer name other than the server name on which Qlik Sense is being installed.

Is the Computer host name input box simply giving me an option to enter host name as an IP address or a server name instead of Fully Qualified Domain Name or is there more to it? Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Mikhail B.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sebastian_Linser

Hopefully, that adds some context to what I'm asking which is:

1.)Where is the Computer host name being used?

the variable (string) you enter is used to generate the service certificates used for internal service communication. E.g. Repository to Proxy, Engine etc. You will get a certificate Name-CA, Name and a QlikClient (trusted by the Name-CA)

2.) Under which conditions would a name other than server name be specified during Qlik Sense installation?

If you e.g. install within AWS you under some circumstances will get the internal AWS name as hostname (e.g. ip-10-24-34-0.us-west-2.compute.internal) in this case your server might not resolve the service user if you specify a local user because that will not forward the request without additonal finetuning. Here its better to use the local PC name (hostname) as install name.  

3.)What possible values can be entered into Computer host name field?

You can use 0-9, a-z, A-z, "." and "-". 

Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you! 🙂

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Sebastian_Linser

Hello @mbespartochnyy  the page you found is the right one to change the name. While its not recommended to use the IP adress that will make problems with the internal certificates created during installation.

you can always change the hostname post installation as well https://community.qlik.com/t5/Official-Support-Articles/Qlik-Sense-Change-hostname-and-certificates-... 

best regards

Sebastian

mbespartochnyy
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for the reply! However, I'm not looking to change a computer name, I'm looking to understand what possible values can be entered into Computer host name field in this step of Qlik Sense server installation?

Background Context

What's confusing me is that I'm given an option to enter seemingly any value in Computer host name field. Typically, if there are only a limited amount of options that can possibly be entered, there would be a dropdown with possible options to select from. Or, perhaps, instructions that say something like:

"Enter the host name of this computer (node) formatted as an IP address, server name, or fully qualified domain name. Whichever you prefer."

However, the instructions just above the Computer host name input field say:

"Enter the host name for this computer (node)."

Moreover, the computer name is automatically populated in the Computer host name field which makes me think, "Why am I given a choice to enter some value in Computer host name field other than the one that's already there? What else can I enter there?" 

1. Where is the Computer host name being used?
  2. Under which conditions would a name other than server name be specified during Qlik Sense installation?
  3. What possible values can be entered into Computer host name field?
Sebastian_Linser

1.)Where is the Computer host name being used?

the variable (string) you enter is used to generate the service certificates used for internal service communication. E.g. Repository to Proxy, Engine etc. You will get a certificate Name-CA, Name and a QlikClient (trusted by the Name-CA)

2.) Under which conditions would a name other than server name be specified during Qlik Sense installation?

If you e.g. install within AWS you under some circumstances will get the internal AWS name as hostname (e.g. ip-10-24-34-0.us-west-2.compute.internal) in this case your server might not resolve the service user if you specify a local user because that will not forward the request without additonal finetuning. Here its better to use the local PC name (hostname) as install name.  

3.)What possible values can be entered into Computer host name field?

You can use 0-9, a-z, A-z, "." and "-".