Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
byronvwnl
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

master item library cataloguing - why is this not standard?

Hi,

The need for proper measure management has become more and more pressing. it is unfortunate that the out of box master item library is defined at an application level with no real way of having this supported from a global perspective. 

------------------

I am looking for information, solutions or ideas how I can better create, manage and deploy 1000's of measures/KPIs.

------------------

In the past I have used excel files to define variables which I can use to bring into an application. This is not feasible on any semi large scale as you lose properties like labelling and dimension colours. The other draw back is I have no visibility into which master items are used in which applications. Having a MI defined in an app doesn't mean it is used in any objects. I really need more control over how these are created/defined and where they are used. 

Does qlik catalog solve this gap in QS?

Is TimeXtender a good place to create expressions?

Are custom API scripts our only option?

Thanks,

Byron

Labels (1)
  • Other

2 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Good question (or point). This should be part of Qlik Sense itself. Unfortunately it isn't and you'll have to try your luck with for example

Qlik Catalog doesn't do master items and neither does TimeXtender. Though you could of course create tables that contain the definitions of master items so they're just data in tables. The trick is then to get the data out of the tables and converted into master items.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
byronvwnl
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Hi Gysbert,

Good to see you still around 🙂  First time posting in years on the forum. Thanks for the feedback. I will look into the links you provided. 

I like the idea of shopping (in cart) for measures from the catalogue. I know TX can have expressions written in the semantic layer but need to consider the draw back of having these defined at the table dimensions. The other challenge (or trick) is getting this converted back to master items and generating a custom app or sheet.

Knowing there is no proper solution for this means I still need to give this problem and its answer a lot more consideration...

Thanks again for the quick response, MVP for life 😉

Cheers,

Byron