QlikView App: Export Chart and Sheet to an Image File

Last Update:

May 29, 2013 5:55:54 PM

Updated By:

stevedark

Created date:

May 29, 2013 5:55:54 PM

Attachments

This example shows how to call a macro that saves image files for a selected sheet and chart to a specified location on reload.

The saved images could then be published via a web site or Wall Board, for example.

This QlikView was written in response to a post in the QlikView UK user group.

For other tutorial apps you can download and use, please see:

https://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/qlikview-examples/

Hope you find this app useful.

Steve Dark

http://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/

Comments
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

It should be the whole sheet with all of the objects on it.

Steve

Not applicable

Nice one Steve, works like a dream - cheers for sharing.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Great!

That would be a possibility to get the charts from a QlikView_app into a permanently running Powerpoint presentation (by inserting those files, every time the files are updated, the change would be reflected in the presentation).

I've been trying to get the QlikView_apps themselves to switch sheets automatically so they could run ´permanently on a monitor, but up to now that doesn't work.

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You can do wall board stuff in QlikView without having to export to files.  If you use the Ajax client you can put this in an IFrame and then poll between pages by refreshing the container page with different parameters to the QlikView page.  There was a post on the QlikView Design Blog about passing parameters to an Ajax page that would allow you to toggle from page to page.  The problem with this approach is that is does consume a licence and QlikView is having to manage the session.

NPrinting is very good for exporting to web pages that can be used on a wall board.  This blog post I wrote on using the STORE statement in the load script describes how a web page can be created on the fly - without any third party apps.

http://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/write-csv-qlikview-store/

That used in conjunction with the export of objects in a macro could allow you to do permanently refreshing boards as well.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

This is a great and simple solution for handling wall dashboards in a, hrrmmm, license efficient way.

I have come across one problem though and that is when exporting a full sheet.

For some unknown reason QlikView uses the current screen resolution of the "exporting" computer/server as the maximum resolution to export. E.g. if I have built a 1920 * 1080 dashboard for view on a TV-screen it also means that the computer/server I am exporting from needs to have 1920 * 1080 resolution as the exported image will otherwise be cropped.

Any ideas on how to handle that?

Kind regards

Niklas

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

What are you using to display the image?

If you use a browser and a small bit of HTML you can specify the size of the image when shown, and the browser will scale it down to fit the screen.  You can also use a simple HTML header refresh statement to refresh the image and switch to other images as required.

Hope that helps

Steve

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I was probably not clear enough. My point was that QlikView seems to focus more on the current screen resolution of the computer used than the actual intended resolution of the document, which means that "Export Sheet Image" gets cropped. Both if done manually, but also if done over a macro like yours above.

It is a bit like editing a large megapixel photo in Photoshop and once you save it you will only save the top left corner of your photo that you currently see.

With an example.

Here is a 1920 * 1080 image that I have "fit to zoom" in QlikView on my 1368 * 768 laptop:

FitToZoom.PNG

If I instead try to "Export Sheet Image", that is the entire sheet, not only the text/image-object I will get the following Export:

ExportedSheetToFile.png

Everything beyond my laptop resolution is gone.

This is of course unfortunate if I design a dashboard for Full HDTV, but need to export it from a non Full HD screen like my computer or a remote server.

After browsing around a bit more I am not to optimistic that there actually is a solution for this except for at least having the same resolution as what you want to export.

I could of course also export all my objects from my sheet and build it up in e.g. HTML, but that is not really what I am after either.

Kind regards

Niklas

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Niklas,

Apologies, I had assumed that your telly had a lower resolution that your laptop, and that was what was causing the cropping.  Can you remove the zoom from the sheet and make the objects smaller to fit the laptop screen - this would then not crop things?  I can see that this may increase white space though on the page.

Other than that I can only suggest creating the dashboard over four tabs in QlikView, and then stitching together afterwards - but I appreciate that is not ideal.

Often I find that I have separate tabs for how things are viewed in QlikView to how they are exported, via QlikView Reports or NPrinting, for example.

Steve

Not applicable

Could this process be used to set an image as wallpaper on a users Desktop?

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Ben,

I've not played about with wallpapers in Windows for some time, so I am a bit rusty.  As far as I am aware if you set the wallpaper to a certain location and then replace that file it will be picked up as a users wallpaper when they log in.  I'm not sure whether this can be set to refresh at an interval (i.e. if the underlying file changes those changes are shown on the wallpaper) without the user logging out and in - but I suspect there is a way of making this happen.

Steve

Version history
Last update:
‎2013-05-29 05:55 PM
Updated by: