Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to filter using an external list from Excel

This PowerPoint file walk one throug the steps to filter data based on an external list from another source (Excel)

5 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Original request for this document:

I'm looking for a way to select/filter data on a long list of values without having to manually key them in or scroll through thousands of items to select the items I need.  Is there a way to copy a list (column) of data from Excel or text file and paste it in order to filter the returning data set by those values?  I see that pasting items into multibox (or other) search fields does work, but the data items must be linear and separated by the appropriate operand (ie. item1 or item2 or item3... etc.).  That would require a transformation of the data before using it.  Plus, I think there is a limit to the length of the search criteria entered.  I need to paste a column of data with an assumed "or" between items, or find a workaround for that.

Although I do have the ability to add objects, I do not have file import capabilities and would like to avoid having to import a spreadsheet or CSV file into QlikView (and thus relying on IT).  Is there an object that I can create that will allow me to paste in a list of items in a columnar format, or is there any other way to accomplish this?

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

jslancas
Contributor II
Contributor II

This is exactly what I needed and has saved me a lot of time.  Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Glad I could help Jeff.  Let me know if you need help with other shortcuts.

-Brian

Brian L Veara

Manager Decision Resources

ThedaCare

brian.veara@thedacare.org

"Success is a choice"

Not applicable
Author

I have a QV Monitor on our production server. I tried this but its some how not working, after I paste values and say 'GO' it doesn't apply any filters. I have a list of multiple part numbers for which I need the output, are there any settings that needs to change for this to work? thanks.

jrdunson
Creator
Creator

Hey, this is six year old... but can we do this through the AJAX web client?  I don't see advanced search