Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW

Automatically trigger NPrinting publish task without needing API

lkartchner
Contributor III
Contributor III

Automatically trigger NPrinting publish task without needing API

Everyone using Nprinting with Qlikview or Qlik Sense has a need to trigger associated NPrinting reports when the preceding Qlik document/app has finished reloading.  This is currently accomplished (prior to NPrinting April 2020) by using the NPrinting API and executing the API calls from the load script of the Qlik document/app.  

Starting with the April 2020 release the API fails because the Cookie exchanged in the REST connector has changed formats.  But, this really should be a built-in, management console based activity since it is so common and would bring integration to core products in the Qlik Suite.  This capability should not need a programmer or highly technical resource to design and build an interface.

Here is a link to a community post that gives an example of the types of issues being experienced with dependence on the NPrinting API for this basic task:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-NPrinting-Discussions/Nprinting-REST-API-broke-after-June-2020-up...

Please, please, please build this feature into one of the management consoles (Qlik Sense, Qlikview and/or NPrinting).  Until it is I, and others, will likely not be able to upgrade to the latest versions of NPrinting.

Tags (1)
5 Comments
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion but I think it was already in the list at https://community.qlik.com/t5/Ideas/Trigger-automatically-NPrinting-task-after-the-metadata-is/idi-p....

Then you are mixing a new feature request with an issue that are two different things. In the conversation you linked I posted the new connection string that should work with newer Qlik NPrinting and Qlik Sense version util the issue will be solved. 

We are aware that many users are requesting this native feature but, at the moment, I don't know if and when it will be added. Listing it here and voting is important, so thanks.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

lkartchner
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Ruggero

Thanks for the reply and comments.  I actually read the idea you reference in quite a bit of detail before I submitted mine.  It is related but quite different to what I requested.  That idea was to trigger a publish after updating a connection (metadata).  Updating Metadata only needs to be done when the associated Qlik document is edited or modified.  Although useful, that is a much rarer occurrence.   That's why I went ahead and submitted the idea.

The more common and needed feature is to trigger a publish task after data reload in the associated Qlik document which happens usually everyday or sometimes multiple times a day depending on the need.

I'll reference the community article again to get any new postings you made.  The solutions that had previously been posted did not work so I'm very interested in anything new you have provided.  I spent a couple days experimenting with the solutions and concepts in that article.  I should post my experiences there.

I very much look forward to the day when Qlik can address this integration issue.

thanks

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the results of your tests.

Please note that in the metadata of a connection there are also the first 1000 distinct values of the fields. For example, if the Country field of your source app contains 10 distinct countries and after an app reload they will be 11 you will not be able to see the 11th until you refresh the connection metadata. The connection metadata reload is not mandatory if you need only to run publish tasks. Reloading the metadata is mandatory, for example, if you want to create a filter by using the new data. I'm telling this to complete your information. 

Best Regards,

Ruggero

pabloviera
Creator
Creator

Upvoting this because I don't think we should be timing the NPrinting reloads to an expected Sense Reload task completion timeframe nor dealing with API calls in the App script.

Andrew_Kruger
Employee
Employee

Status changed to: Open - Not Planned