Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE

Inherit everything!

george55
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Inherit everything!

Hi all,

When you have this situation:
- Many Apps
- Each App has its own Data, Sources, Jobs, Objects, Styles, Variables, Dimensions, Master-Items etc.

Goal:
You would like to create one App which includes some Objects of the other Apps. To avoid rebuilt and reload the same data you need an effiecient way. You have already what you need, you just needs to collect it and combine all.

How to achieve this?
You can store some tables of each App in a qvd. Then in your one App you can import thess qvds.

Advantage
1) A lot of Data are very fast loaded in your one App
2) You need only one Job to keep updated your one App

Disadvantage
1) To store some tables (how is written above in "How to achieve this") needs some work. You have to do that with caution, as you can not export each table 1:1. You have some loops, temporary table, mapping tables etc.

2) All your variables, master-Iterms, color dimensions etc. are gone! You have to rebuild everything again! you have to, because you can not copy/paste nothing! No Sheets, no Objects, no Variables, nothing!

3) Once you have "rebuild" everything in your one App... you realise that the maintance of your apps will be a big pain. If you are going to change something in one your source-App, you have to do it also in your one App!

This is awful! Everybody is talking to bring data together, you will have great benefits etc. and then you realise that Qlik is not your good partner in that matter.

The reason why I build Master-Items and Variables is to be flexibel with a long-rang view. If I had knew that there is no benefit with it (in Qlik), I had never build it! Now I have exactly the opposite. My Master-Items and Variables are obstacles in my work 😞

Tags (1)
5 Comments
Thomas_Hopp
Employee
Employee

Hi @george55 

sorry for the delay here but let me ask you one question. When I'm reading your summary from above, are you saying that you want one App which is loaded in memory or in other words the data model loaded once but it can be used across different Apps ?

Thomas

Status changed to: Open - Collecting Feedback
george55
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Thomas

It is the second. To load the data model once. But when you have a loaded data model then you will automatically benefit to be everything loaded in memory.

George

Carl_Hunter
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Is this a bit like a binary load from the QlikView days? This concept exists in Sense, but, it doesn't really work "as well" from my knowledge due to it requiring the filepath or GUID of the app you are binary loading from. I also think it just loads in the data model, not the master measures etc. 

Great idea 👍

Meghann_MacDonald

From now on, please track this idea from the Ideation portal. 

Link to new idea

Meghann

NOTE: Upon clicking this link 2 tabs may open - please feel free to close the one with a login page. If you only see 1 tab with the login page, please try clicking this link first: Authenticate me! then try the link above again. Ensure pop-up blocker is off.

Ideation
Explorer II
Explorer II

Status changed to: Closed - Archived