Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Make master item description show as tooltip in Table

philip_doyne
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Make master item description show as tooltip in Table

Hi  Very simple improvement (I think).   I want to be able to show and end user the definition of a measure (could apply to dimensions too) when the measure is included in a table.

You have a master measure description field - but I don't know where it is used other than in the creation/editing of the master item.    If you search for a master item does it search in the Description field too???

You also have a tooltip which appears when you hover over a column heading in a table but this just shows the name of the master item (which you already know because it is the column heading!)

Could you change the tooltip so it shows the description of the master item (which typically could show a user friendly definition of the measure).   

Maybe you could/should:

-   add a tick box in the master item - Use Description as ToolTip

-   think of this as a Definition not a description

Essentially Measures are commonly centrally defined Measures or Indicators and it would be really good to show the end user the definition that gave rise to the number.

If you are really going to do the data quality/data literacy you could have a popup if the expression is changed but the definition has not changed to say "You have changed the expression for this measure - do you need to update the definition?"   

If you think that Definition and Description are different things, then you could just add a new field with a "Use Definiton" toggle which popped up the definition box so it does not make extra work for people who do not think it is useful and would not involve changing existing behaviour.

Tags (2)
9 Comments
Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

Thank you for your feedback on ways to improve our product. While this is something we understand would be useful, it's not on the short-term roadmap. Please continue to show your support for this idea.

A partial workaround could be to have the expression description in variable  and use the variable in the new custom tooltip and the master measure description expression.

Thanks,
Patric

Status changed to: Open - Collecting Feedback
sfbi
Creator
Creator

Same demand here.. And it would be so simple as qlik sense already show the measure name on mouse hover.

Yorick_Stevens
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

this would be a very nice addition to the tool

kvkeee
Contributor
Contributor

I am also looking for this feature and came here. I support the idea.

Anyone able to implement the workaround that @Patric_Nordstrom  mentioned? I only understood until creating a variable whose value is the description. Didn't follow how to use it as custom tooltip. Custom tooltip option is available only for few types of charts such as pie charts.

lectrik
Contributor
Contributor

Came here looking how to do this. I'm disappointed this isn't a thing, as it's a pretty simple quality of life feature, but then again, Qlik is notoriously bad at designing software with quality of life in mind.

rakeshshah
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Came here to post a new idea - found @philip_doyne  was on the case! Thanks

@Patric_Nordstrom - Workaround makes sense for tooltips in visual charts. The main use case is for tables, especially on the header.

I think it would be great to have an (i) whenever a master item is used and when you hover over it, the master item description shows. We have a lot of users wanting to see this functionality. 

Thanks

bettyp
Contributor
Contributor

Also found this post while looking for this feature.  Would add so much to our user experience!

Meghann_MacDonald

From now on, please track this idea from the Ideation portal. 

Link to new idea

Meghann

NOTE: Upon clicking this link 2 tabs may open - please feel free to close the one with a login page. If you only see 1 tab with the login page, please try clicking this link first: Authenticate me! then try the link above again. Ensure pop-up blocker is off.

Ideation
Explorer II
Explorer II

Status changed to: Closed - Archived