Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Measures/Dimensions/Expressions Repository

Stoyan_Terziev
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Measures/Dimensions/Expressions Repository

Basically, the idea is to create a repository for all formulas used in Qlik Sense Non-published apps. Not just master items, but I won't be surprised if it should start there from UI standpoint.

Inspiration: QlikView had this Expression Repository which you can use to export and search on top of all expressions used in the app.

The problem: We need to do bulk search and update formulas, so we want to be able to find where a certain field, measure, variable or set expression is used. Even bulk update of formatting.

Solution 1 (should be easy): Create "Bulk Explore" functionalities for each of the Master Items sections to filter among all the expressions, dimensions, extensions, visualizations based on their name, values, tags or descriptions. ++ Export to excel

Solution 2 (a bit more nasty): Create a "Bulk Explore" that spans a table with all the formulas used explaining if it's used in a Variable, Master Measure, Master Dimension, Custom Dimension, Expression, Color, Range, etc, etc, value. ++ Export to excel

Solution 3 (must be the nastiest): Solution 2 + Bulk update functionality. Basically Find/Replace.

I hope I'm not duplicating anyone's idea. But even if so, let's make this hot!

It was quite heavily used in QlikView.

6 Comments
dimitar_dekov
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

I recently had to modify some expression just by a tiny bit, but the new filter had to be added to several dozens of KPIs. Took me about an hour, while I can imagine that if we had a true Measure / Dimension repository, I could have used some find and replace functionality.

Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

Thank you for your feedback on ways to improve our product. While this is something we understand would be useful, it's not on the short-term roadmap. Please continue to show your support for this idea.

Meanwhile it is possible to use tools like Rob Wunderlich's QCB-QLIK-SSE to maintain master items.

Thanks,
Patric

Status changed to: Open - Collecting Feedback
juraj_misina
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Yes, we need a Qlik Sense version of Expression overview: https://community.qlik.com/t5/Ideas/Search-and-replace-for-master-library/idi-p/1645594

devan9876
Creator
Creator

@juraj_misina 

In case you're interested, I did create an extension that has bulk update and find/replace functionality for variables and master items.

I'm not really a programmer by trade and it was kind of a home project that I haven't touched since they got rid of the free Qliksense desktop license but it seemed to work back when I made it.

https://developer.qlik.com/garden/5f33685d6e4c3e00113d0c5a

Meghann_MacDonald

From now on, please track this idea from the Ideation portal. 

Link to new idea

Meghann

NOTE: Upon clicking this link 2 tabs may open - please feel free to close the one with a login page. If you only see 1 tab with the login page, please try clicking this link first: Authenticate me! then try the link above again. Ensure pop-up blocker is off.

Ideation
Explorer II
Explorer II

Status changed to: Closed - Archived