Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidsimpf
Contributor III
Contributor III

Qlik Explorer for Developers App Open Flow - Report Output Interpretation

The App open progress report produced by the Qlik Explorer for Developers tool has revealed that an App is spending approx. 80% of it's open time loading fields and tables and then approx. 20% of it's open time doing the following steps:

• Attached to loaded document
  • Pre-generating dimensions
  • Generated 8 dynamic dimensions

What do each of these 3 steps mean ?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I believe the generating of dimensions has to do with pre-generating, for performance reasons, calculated dimensions and fields-on-the-fly. See https://community.qlik.com/t5/Design/Calculated-Fields/ba-p/1694383

-Rob

View solution in original post

4 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I believe the generating of dimensions has to do with pre-generating, for performance reasons, calculated dimensions and fields-on-the-fly. See https://community.qlik.com/t5/Design/Calculated-Fields/ba-p/1694383

-Rob

davidsimpf
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks @rwunderlich, removing all master dimensions with calculations' - by moving them to load script - have reduced two of those steps to 0 seconds, and reduced App opening time. That leaves one unknown step which is taking a bit of time, do you know what 'Attached to loaded document' means ?

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I think "Attached to loaded document" is a checkpoint step rather than a processing step. That "step" is always duration 0 by my calculation.  The fact that you are seeing it as taking time may be due to how QDE reports durations. In my interpretation the duration should actually be attributed to the previous step. For example, here the 0.5s / 18.8% is actually spent in the "Building field relation state" step. And the 1.6s is spent in "Loading fields", not "Loaded 95 fields". 

rwunderlich_0-1719598440922.png

This may just be a design decision. I'll tag @Øystein_Kolsrud here to comment on QDE.  In QSDA Pro I attribute the duration to the previous line. Here's a similar open report from QDE and QSDA Pro side by side. 

rwunderlich_1-1719598572039.png

-Rob

Øystein_Kolsrud
Employee
Employee

Yes, the dt-part simply denotes the delta between this, and the previous message in Qlik Explorer. But you're right! Maybe it would be better to more clearly state the time spent on the individual steps instead of using that way to print the delta.