Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

ODBC connection and dataload failure

Hi All,

I have logged this with the helpdesk, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has had this problem and come up with a solution.

We have encountered a strange case when QlikView connects to a table of data using an ODBC driver, we're able to load the data it seems without any problems, however one of the columns when we look in QlikView has no data loaded into it at all.

There was a clause originally on the load, which we've removed and loaded all the data (with no change to the outputs). We've also tried using the text and a num functions with no success, finally we've also tried loading the data into a QVD and still the non population of the data occurs.

The entries in the column are only a "0","1" or blank, but currently all the previous extractions only show a blank in the output.

We have also used Access to export the data and then the "0", "1" or blank are in the column, we have loaded this successfully into QlikView, so we know the table has data in the relevant column. However we want to avoid this manual step in future and be able to schedule reload from the server at particular times early in the morning.

Has anyone had this happen before and if so any solutions?

Thanks

Gavin

8 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

What database system?

Not applicable
Author

H
Not applicable
Author

H

Not applicable
Author

Hi Rob,

First sorry for the above, my internet explorer is playing up (IE9) in terms of the database it is just a normal SQL database and we're just connecting to the source tables and trying to avoid the lengthy extraction process. Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Gavin

Not applicable
Author

HI Gavin,

This happened with me too. I connected through OLEDB and it worked without any problems. Try OLEDB connection.

Not applicable
Author

Hi sraven,

I don't think that using OLEDB is an option in this case, as I've been lead to believe OLEDB requires tables to mounted locally in SQL server (currently not installed on the users computer) otherwise in QlikView the tables can't be seen to load in.

The end user isn't the database manager so I doubt they'd be able to do the above even after SQL server were to be installed, obviously if OLEDB without mounting locally is possible that's the best way forward given the age of the ODBC driver!

Any other advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Gavin

Not applicable
Author

Hi Gavin,

I really dont understand, when you say it must be locally mounted. But for me ODBC and OLEDB both worked on a remote SQL Server which was in our Domain.The Procedure was almost same and ya you need a userid and Password with reading Authentification but that I think that is also for ODBC.

May be someother people can understand you and give you a suggestion.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Sounds like you have a bit field. One my SQL Server 2008, bit fields are loaded correctly with both OLDB and ODBC.

Try explicitly converting the field in your SQL.

convert(int, BitFlag) as BitFlag