Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW

Qlik Sense and Qlik NPrinting: Export of maps does not work when using a network proxy

No ratings
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Damien_Villaret
Support
Support

Qlik Sense and Qlik NPrinting: Export of maps does not work when using a network proxy

Last Update:

Sep 11, 2023 7:45:57 AM

Updated By:

Sonja_Bauernfeind

Created date:

Mar 18, 2019 4:25:11 AM

A network proxy can lead to issues when exporting maps to PDFs or Images in both Qlik Sense and Qlik NPrinting.

Environment:

Qlik Sense Enterprise February 2018 and later
Qlik NPrinting February 2018 and later

Resolution

Qlik NPrinting June 2020 and later

The following setting needs to be applied in 

C:\Program Files\NPrintingServer\NPrinting\Scheduler\renderer.config

For June 2020:

<add key="webrenderer-args" value=";--proxy-server=http://proxyserver:port;--proxy-bypass-list=qlikserver.domain.local" />

For September 2020 and later:

<add key="webrenderer-args" value="--proxy-server=http://proxyserver:port;--proxy-bypass-list=qlikserver.domain.local" />

All earlier versions

If you use only Qlik Sense Enterprise, you will need to modify the settings file for the printing service: 

C:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Printing\printing.exe.config

In a multi-node environment, the change must be done on all nodes with a printing service.

If you use Qlik Sense and NPrinting, you need to modify the engine settings file: 

C:\Program Files\NPrintingServer\NPrinting\Engine\engine.config

Changes to be done:

For automatic proxy detection:

<!-- Disables the proxy server, true for active. default true.-->
<add key="webrenderer-no-proxy-server" value="false" />

<!-- Autodetect proxy configuration, true for active, default false. Web content loading during application startup can be delayed due to 
network proxy resolution-->
<add key="webrenderer-proxy-auto-detect" value="true" />

OR set the proxy manually:

<!-- Disables the proxy server, true for active. default true.-->
<add key="webrenderer-no-proxy-server" value="false" />

<!-- 
Specify the HTTP/SOCKS4/SOCKS5 proxy server to use for requests. An individual proxy
server is specified using the format: [<proxy-scheme>://]<proxy-host>[:<proxy-port>], example, socks5://127.0.0.1:8888
default: empty
-->
<add key="webrenderer-proxy-server" value="http://proxyserver_name:8080" /> <!-- check the 'name of your server' + port to be used if not 8080 -->

FAQ:

Question: Why Qlik Sense Printing service needs proxy server configuration. 
Answer: Because it needs access to the internet to retrieve map tiles

Question: What data it sends over the internet.
Answer: A request for the map

Question: What data it receives using proxy server.
Answer: The map tiles

Question: Is there any risk involved in opening the internet connectivity on server.
Answer: The same risk you get from opening general internet access to the server. You can allow the specific server

Labels (1)
Comments
cjgorrin
Contributor III
Contributor III

I have a couple of questions, @Damien_Villaret and @Sonja_Bauernfeind:

When you set in Qlik Sense's printing.exe.config the proxy to "auto detect" mode, where does it take it from? Environment variables? If so, does it respect the NO_PROXY environment variable? Does it take the proxy from the Internet options? If so, will it respect the list of exceptions?

In case we needed the printing service to use a proxy but also have a list of hosts to which it must connect without proxy, what would be the best approach?

We are facing this issue now and it does not seem to be well documented anywhere.

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello @cjgorrin 

Qlik uses the options as documented by Chromium for the webrenderer used by the printing service. The options are documented here

If you are looking for more direct assistance with your query, I recommend posting about it in our Deployment and Management forum.

All the best,
Sonja 

cjgorrin
Contributor III
Contributor III

Dear @Sonja_Bauernfeind,

I imagine you mean that the web renderer (not Qlik as a whole) uses the Chromium set of parameters for specifying the proxy. Qlik itself (for the web file connector or for analytic connections, for instance), does not use chromium options. Am I right?

And just one last question... If the web renderer uses Chromium options, does this mean I can configure something like this line below to make the web renderer bypass the proxy for internal IP addresses and local domains?

<add key="webrenderer-proxy-bypass-list" value="mylocaldomain;192.168.1.2" />

Thanks a lot!

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello @cjgorrin 

Correct, I was a little too generic in my reply. We use it for the webrenderer for the printing service. (I will amend my reply to make it clear.)

As to your specific question:

I checked with one of our developers and subject matter experts, and he advised that we are likely not parsing for this specific parameter in the code, but he encouraged you to set it up. If it does not provide you with the expected results, an idea/feature request to improve the functionality would be the next best step.

All the best,
Sonja 

Version history
Last update:
‎2023-09-11 07:45 AM
Updated by: