Qlik Community

Ask a Question

Knowledge Base

Search or browse our knowledge base to find answers to your questions ranging from account questions to troubleshooting error messages. The content is curated and updated by our global Support team

Announcements
Live chat with experts, bring your API Integration questions. June 15th, 10 AM ET. REGISTER TODAY

QlikSenseUtil as a backup tool

Andre_Sostizzo
Digital Support
Digital Support

QlikSenseUtil as a backup tool

Qlik Sense Utility comes bundled with Qlik Sense. It is able to assist in the backing up process to help with the manual process.

Key elements that need to be backed up are: 

• the certificates used by Qlik Sense for internal communication
  • the Repository Database used to store meta-data about the Qlik Sense site
  • the applications used by the Qlik Sense site
  • the Extensions, thumbnail images, etc used by Qlik Sense apps

Other options components can include:

• Logs of activity on the site
  • Supplemental material used by the Qlik Sense site (e.g. QVDs, Excel files, etc)

By using the QlikSenseUtil tool, an administrator can back all of these up and configure the tool to be integrated in a silent, incremental backup policy.

Resolution:

1. Locate the QlikSenseUtil tool
    • By default it will be located in C:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Repository\Util\QlikSenseUtil\QlikSenseUtil.exe
    • For installations to custom paths it will be located at  Drive:\InstallationPath\Repository\Util\QlikSenseUtil\QlikSenseUtil.exe
  2. In Notepad or Text Editor, construct the desired command line syntax for the backup.
    • A sample command: C:\"Program Files"\Qlik\Sense\Repository\Util\QlikSenseUtil\QlikSenseUtil.exe -backup -databaseHostname="FQDNofTheDatabase" -databasePassword="SuperUserPassword" -path="Drive:\BackupLocation" -rootPath="\\ServiceCluster\Path"
    • For a full listing of the flags possible, consult later in this article or the Readme.txt in the QlikSenseUtil directory

Note: Executing a backup will stop Qlik Sense services, so only execute this tool when downtime is acceptable
      Note: Executing as the Qlik Sense service account is recommended since the client certificate used by Qlik Sense is only accessible to the service account
      Note: For silent backups, do remember to use the -f flag
      Note: Logs for this tool will be written to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp\logs for the account executing the tool
  3. Once the command is written out, launch a command prompt and paste in the command
  4. Observe the files backed up to the path specified in the path flag

Video Walk-through:

(video from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuF4FMnaD1I?)

Flags:

backup: specifies a backup operation (mandatory)
path: path to the folder where to store the backup (mandatory)
certificatePassword: password for protecting the certificates. If not specified then the certificates will not be backed up
databaseHostname: Hostname where the database is running (mandatory)
databasePassword: Superuser or postgres account password (mandatory, if password was configured)
databasePort: port number used by the database)
f: silent backup
h: help

Related Content:

Labels (2)
Comments
sen
Contributor III
Contributor III

Thank you very much for the valuable information!

Can I use the QlikSenseUtil as a restore tool?
A warning is displayed and I cannot proceed.

(Qlik Sense Version: September 2020 Patch2)

---
The following arguments have not been specified:
Warning: No supporting content directory provided. If no supporting content is intended this message can be ignored

Are you sure you want to continue? [y/n]
---

The command is written as follows.
What should I do?

---
cd C:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Repository\Util\QlikSenseUtil
QlikSenseUtil.exe -restore -installLocalDb=true -databaseHostname=localhost -databasePassword={Password} -path="C:\backup\app\.2020.11.12-18.38.33-Z.backup" -rootPath=\\Server\folder -installer="C:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense" -certificatePassword={Password} -u={usernameWithDomain} -p={Password}
---

If you like, please help me.

Andre_Sostizzo
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hi @sen.

The argument -supportingContentLocation is optional, so you can just type 'y' and Enter to proceed. If for some reason you cannot type,  make sure you have not clicked with the cursor inside the command prompt window before typing. If you do, you will have to click on the title bar before being able to type again. Also, make sure to run cmd as an Administrator.

sen
Contributor III
Contributor III

@Andre_Sostizzo 

Thank you
Give me a comment

I type 'y'.
But The following message is displayed and I cannot proceed.
When I press enter, the command prompt exits.

-message-
11 15 04:24:51 2020: Restoring system, this may take a while...
Restore logfile: C:\Users\rfukuda\AppData\Local\Temp\\qliksenseutil_2020111504242451.log
11 15 04:24:51 2020: Restoring system...
11 15 04:24:51 2020: Initializing system restore...
Exception in thread main, msg=C:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Qlik_Sense_setup.exe, code=-2147024894

Deepak_dhikale
Partner
Partner

Hello @Andre_Sostizzo 

thank you for your help in backup process.

So now on every week i am taking Qlik sense Backup using QLIKSENSE UTIL TOOL . But Every time  When Backup Starts It ask  for

Are you sure you want to continue? [y/n]  

Yes  or No.  

But I want auto YES [as i am  using windows scheduler]

1. So can i use   echo Y | del /P     this command in backup code ? if yes then where should i put it  ? And if No then what is other option for automation?
  2. After Completion  of backup i need to send an email for successful operation which includes .    a. Backup Size  b. Backup duration c. backup date  .

So I successfully created the code in PowerShell [ for mail ] but not able add backup size and backup duration?

Kindly need help on this .

thank you in advance

regards 

Deepak D [INDIA}

Andre_Sostizzo
Digital Support
Digital Support

@Deepak_dhikale , have you tried the parameter -f for silent mode? You can maybe get the 3 values you are looking for from the logs or other commands. (e.g. Get File size and directory size from command line )

Deepak_dhikale
Partner
Partner

@Andre_Sostizzo 

please need your help on priority🙏

I got the Solution for File Size and Time duration for full backup .

But My Biggest challenge is to take the Backup without manual interaction.

I attached screenshot for reference.

IMG_20210608_131948.jpg

IMG_20210608_131958.jpg

also after this I want to execute delete code to remove old backup and then a mail notification to client for successful backup completion.

for Which I am using below code in same bat file of backup

Echo Forfiles to delete files older than 5 days
forfiles -p "E:\QLIKBKPDONTUSE\Backup\ALC_full_backup" -s -m *.*  /D -5 /C "cmd /c del /q @path"
echo Done!
timeout 30
powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy remotesigned -File C:\Users\nprinting\Desktop\Deepak\fullbackupmail.ps1
exit

regards 

Deepak.

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello @Deepak_dhikale 

Please contact support if you have priority inquiries or reach out to our larger community in the Qlik Sense Deployment Forum. We try to provide assistance when it is requested on our articles, but this issue you are facing requires more investigation than we can provide in this context.

All the best,

Sonja 

Version history
Revision #:
2 of 2
Last update:
‎2020-11-11 05:22 AM
Updated by:

Contributors