Community Manager

Deprecation Notice – Qlik Sense Widgets and Custom Components FAQ

Last Update:

Mar 17, 2021 12:22:56 PM

Updated By:

Jeffrey_Goldberg

Created date:

Mar 11, 2021 4:35:52 PM

Announcing the formal deprecation for Qlik Sense Widgets and Custom Components. This is effective for all editions of Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows (client-managed editions). Similar or enhanced functionality of widgets are now offered through the Dashboard and Visualization bundles!

Environment: Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows 

FAQ:

When will this happen?

Widgets and Custom Components will be removed when the Qlik Sense August 2021 release achieves general availability.

Will it be fully removed from the platform?

Yes.                                                                                                    

Will my widgets and custom components continue to work?

The last release widgets functionality is part of client-managed editions of Qlik Sense (Qlik Sense on Windows) is May 2021. Creating new widgets, editing existing widgets, and widget use will no longer be supported in Qlik Sense on Windows beginning with the August 2021 release.

Will widgets and custom components become available in SaaS editions of Qlik Sense?

No.

Are widgets being replaced with new capabilities?

Many of the benefits from widgets are now offered out of the box in Qlik Sense! Proceed to the Dashboard and Extension bundles within the Assets Panel. Here, you’ll find objects such as Multi KPI Chart, Variable input controls, sliders, action buttons, and more.

These Extension Bundles are now offered within the platform and supported by Qlik R&D through future releases.

Is there a way to convert my widgets to visualization extensions?

Unfortunately, there is not a way to transpile syntax used in widget development into JavaScript. We recommend replacing deprecated controls with the native controls found within the platform.

Labels (1)
Comments
Rodj
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

@Jamie_Gregory getting permission to use widgets in a secure environment was hard enough, but getting permission for extensions is nigh-on impossible. I could code the widget I need in 10 minutes and it's laughable that the simple label I'm talking about isn't available anywhere in the supplied objects or bundles and requires an extension now. 

Jamie_Gregory
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Rodj I encourage you to use Ideation to see if it's something that could get added! Our Product Managers are very responsive!

ExtensionMaster
Contributor II
Contributor II

If you have specific customization needs, this was probably helpfull to you and Qlik will not help.

I can help you to transform your widget to extension, drop me a message if you need.

Scott2
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi @Jamie_Gregory 

I am trying to pass the date entered by the user from QlikSense Custom Object "date picker" on GUI into an expression.  I found this very lightweight widget https://github.com/NickAkincilar/QlikDatePickerWidget which would have worked perfectly but i see widgets have since been deprecated which is a really disappointing move by Qlik as they were clearly very useful as per the other comments above.

This is really basic functionality but I don't see it available in an extension and "ideation" seems to be closed to new requests presumably as it has a large backlog already. 

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello @Scott2 

Please post about your query in the appropriate forum (Integration, Extension & API), where our active user base can help you find a solution to your requirement.

As for ideas, ideation has not been shut down, it has, however, been moved to a different tool if you had bookmarked the old version: Ideation 

All the best,
Sonja 

Scott2
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi @Sonja_Bauernfeind

thanks for your reply. Can i also check with you that the leonardo-ui  open source library can still be used within extensions and was not also deprecated along with widgets?

It is marked as experimental here rather than deprecated so I assume that is the case  https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense-developer/May2023/Subsystems/APIs/Content/Sense_ClientAPIs/leonard...

thanks!

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello @Scott2 

If it is not marked as deprecated and instead as experimental, then experimental it will be!

Version history
Last update:
‎2021-03-17 12:22 PM
Updated by: