Digital Support

How to load data from LinkedIn API with Qlik REST connector

Last Update:

May 27, 2021 3:26:04 AM

Updated By:

Sonja_Bauernfeind

Created date:

Sep 4, 2019 9:02:56 AM

LinkedIn requires OAuth2 authentication.

Environment:

Qlik REST Connector 

The connection steps are as follows:  

1. Get LinkedIn API access token following article Authorization Code Flow (3-legged OAuth). Access token should be obtained after Step 3: Exchange Authorization Code for an Access Token
  2. In Qlik Sense, create a REST connection with the following parameters:
    1. URL: link to the LinkedIn API endpoint you want to query, for example https://api.linkedin.com/v2/me
    2. Method: depends on URL according to documentation. For https://api.linkedin.com/v2/me it should be GET
    3. Authentication: Anonymous
    4. Query header
      • Name: Authorization
      • Value: Bearer <access token>

Edit connection REST.png

Selected data to load.png

Related Content:

Setting up selected REST sources for data loading 

Labels (1)
Comments
kanhomcake
Contributor III
Contributor III

Dear @Sonja_Bauernfeind , 

I've read many of your articles in the community, thank you so much for always sharing useful content 🙂

I'm working on getting LinkedIn adAnalytics (https://api.linkedin.com/v2/adAnalyticsV2). I'm able to get an Access Token using a Refresh Token. Now, I'm stuck at sending a request to https://api.linkedin.com/v2/adAnalyticsV2 to query campaign data. It works all fine from Postman but when I try to create a REST connection from Qlik Sense (Aug 2021 version) with the same parameters as Postman (except the auto-generated ones from Postman itself), I always get an error "Failed to connect to server. Please check connection parameters."

Any idea/advice would be greatly appreciated 🙂 #bigfan 😉

Thank you and best regards, 
Wannita

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello @kanhomcake !

I am glad you are enjoying the content we provide 🙂  But I cannot take credit for it, this is a team effort from our experts. I am often just the messenger 😉

Let me see if I can find an SME to look at this question for you. If not, I'll need to redirect you to the forums to post that. Will update you soon.

All the best,
Sonja 

kanhomcake
Contributor III
Contributor III

Thank you Sonja, for your reply 🙂 I actually got some clue from our Qlik partner's consultant, I think my Qlik Sense server blocks the connection to LinkedIn API, I'm contacting my network/security colleague to resolve the issue internally, I hope it will work afterwards. 🙂

Many thanks again for your and the team's contribution 🙂

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Anytime! 

Glad you figured it out though and thank you so much for sharing it here. This will likely help someone else down the line as well.

Have a great day!

All the best,
Sonja 

aldo-tgh
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi Guys,

Do I MUST have a LinkedIn subscription package?

If so, which account shall I use? my personal LinkedIn account or shall I create a "generic" company user (on LinkedIn) for this purpose?

Thanks in advance,
Aldo.

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello @aldo-tgh 

The question of whether or not you require a subscription to LinkedIn depends on what features are locked behind the subscription itself. Reviewing their documentation I cannot find any information that basic connectivity using the REST API is restricted.

As for what account to use: I would recommend posting this question to our forums to see what best practices other users are using. This forum would be appropriate:   Connectivity & Data Prep.

All the best,
Sonja 

aldo-tgh
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi Sonja, 

will check.

Thanks.

Contributors
Version history
Last update:
‎2021-05-27 03:26 AM