Support

Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) Recovery Code

Last Update:

Oct 23, 2023 5:09:15 AM

Updated By:

Sonja_Bauernfeind

Created date:

Jan 30, 2020 2:00:07 PM

Setting up Multi-Factor Authentication is easy and the detailed steps (with helpful screenshots) can be found here: How to Setup Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) for Qlik Sense SaaS.

In summary, you’ll log in to My Qlik, navigate to the Password & Security section, then select Setup under Multi-Factor Authentication. Next, download a supported authentication app to your mobile device and scan the QR code. You’ll see a 'Successful!' message, DO NOT simply click continue.

Copy your recovery code and save it somewhere.

Treat your recovery code with the same level of attention as you would your password! It should not be shared and we recommend saving them with a password manager.

The recovery code is a one-time use code. If you are away from the device that has your MFA app and cannot access the 6 digit code, you can sign in using the recovery code. You can only use the recovery code one time. Once it has been used, you should see another 'Successful!' message with a fresh recovery code. Make sure to save this new recovery code for the future.

If you lose your recovery code, contact Qlik Support.

Summary: 
  • 'Successful!' message gives the recovery code
  • Select copy to clipboard and save the recovery code
  • The recovery code is a one-time use code & can be used instead of the 6 digit code if needed.
  • Make sure to save this recovery code. Qlik cannot issue it. 

If you have questions or have lost your recovery code, contact Qlik Support.

Labels (1)
Comments
PMALO
Contributor
Contributor

How can I recover the multi-factor authentication AMF, in case of loss of recovery code and loss of device that stored the multi-factor authentication?

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello @PMALO 

If you lose your recovery codes and access to the device, I suggest getting in touch with our customer support as mentioned in the article. They can further assist you in getting your account recovered. 

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Note that if you use a recovery code and don't copy the replacement one when you log in (as it's not obvious that you need to do so) then you can generate a new recovery code by turning off MFA on  your account and then enable it again. You will be prompted to re-link your authenticator app and once that process is completed you get given a new recovery code.

It's not at all obvious when you get the recovery code that it is a one use only code.  I only found this out when I came to try and use it again and it didn't work. Fortunately both times it was only that my password safe was closer to me than my phone.

Steve

Version history
Last update:
‎2023-10-23 05:09 AM
Updated by: