Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW

Qlik NPrinting Governance Dashboard - Version 3 Now Available

100% helpful (1/1)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

Qlik NPrinting Governance Dashboard - Version 3 Now Available

Last Update:

May 18, 2022 6:54:02 PM

Updated By:

Frank_S

Created date:

Sep 17, 2020 12:43:20 AM

To install or upgrade your existing Qlik NPrinting governance dashboard, simply deploy the new QVF  and reload the app: NPrinting Governance Dashboard - version3

If and only if you have altered the engine.config file(s) on your NPrinting Engine computer(s) to change the default 'resolvers-count' value,  then go to the 'deployment summary' sheet and enter the 'resolvers-count' value under 'Available Resolvers'.  This value sets a baseline that the new concurrency metric can evaluate to ensure your NPrinting environment is not core constrained. 

Please enjoy and post comments/suggestions in GitHub preferably, or in the community comments below.  

Version 3.0 (4/12/2022)

Update Details:

-Fixed a bug introduced by NP May 2021 SR3 where the reload fails in the load script:
< Field 'id' not found FROM "nprinting"."public"."task_execution" >

-Updated background colours on the "Task Recipients" Pivot Table to green

Version 2.0 

Update Details:

Deployment Summary Sheet:

• Configurable variable "vResolvers ".  By default this is set to the # logical engine processors. If you have changed  the "content-resolvers" property in the engine.config file(s)  to increase/decrease the number of resolvers in your NPrinting environment,  set vResolvers to the sum of this value in all your engine.config files.  

-New KPI "Peak  Connection Concurrency".  This is the number of unique connections used at any one time by executing publish tasks, subscriptions, on-demand requests, or metadata reload requests. It does not include preview requests.  If this number exceeds 60% of your resolver count, queuing is expected to occur and reports will take longer to run. The metric will turn red indicating it is time to add logical engine processors to your NPrinting Engine(s) to a maximum of 16 logical processors per engine. 

-New KPI "Peak Execution Concurrency". This is the number of concurrent execution requests at any one time . It is the sum of executing publish tasks + executing subscription requests + executing onDemand Requests + executing Metadata reload requests. If multiple reports are running in a single publish task, it counts as just '1' in this resolver . Does not include 'preview' requests.  

Report Delivery Sheet:

-New filters added

Data Connections Sheet:

-New filters added 

-Section Access field (yes/no ) added 

Qlik Lineage Sheet:

-New filters added

-New KPIs added:  Complex reports , Medium reports, simple reports

App Content Sheet:

-new filters added

Task Recipients Sheet:

-new filters added

Execution Analysis Sheet:

• New time chart:  "Active Connections by Type Over Time".  Shows concurrently used connections over time , stacked bar charts splits the type of request using the connection  (Publish Task, Subscription,OnDemand,Metadata Reload) . A Y Axis limit line shows the peak.  It turns red if it exceeds 60% of the vResolvers variable

-New table "Days when Concurrency Exceeded". Shows the number of days where the peak concurrency connections exceeds 60% of vResolvers.  

• New time chart:  "Executions by Type Over Time".  Shows concurrent executions over time , stacked bar charts splits the type of request   (Publish Task, Subscription,OnDemand,Metadata Reload) . A y axis limit line shows the peak over time.

-New table "Peak Concurrency by Day". Shows peak concurrency by day.

Report Performance Sheet:

-Container with 4 distribution plots showing execution length for publish tasks, subscriptions,ondemand requests and metadata reloads.  Colored by status (green = success,  red = failed)

-Container with 4 tables showing detailed executions

• 4 KPIs showing  "Average Publish Task Length", "Average OnDemand Length", "Average Subscription Length", "Average Metadata Reload Length" . 

Users Sheet:

-New Filters added

Execution Log Messages:

-New Filters added

Load Script / Model:

- vResolvers variable set to the sum of logical processors on each NP engine found

• section access field added to connections

• New master date table intervalmatched to executions. 

• vMonthsToLoad variable determines how many trailing months to generate in the master date table (default is 3 months)

Upgrade:

For anybody upgrading you will need to re-edit the data source in the load script and if and only if you have changed the resolvers-count setting in the NPrinting engine.config file .... then after reloading the app , go to the deployment summary sheet and update the vResolvers variable to be equivalent to the same value as 'resolvers-count' in the engine.config. If you have multiple NP engines, sum the number together and set vResolvers to the sum of the values found in the engine.config files.

Labels (1)
Comments
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

@santhoshkumar   i can see a few issues. One is that the page is secure , requiring an NPrinting Admin to access.  Our Web file connector which can consume the HTML table cannot handle the authorization to my knowledge . a 403 is returned to the Qlik Sense Engine trace logs and the UI just says 'access denied'.  This is even when my Qlik Sense Engine service account is a windows nprinting admin with SSO already configured.  I'm not sure its source , but its not postgresql, it could be rabbit and i'm not sure the connectivity there.   The second issue is that for it to be useful you need to poll it frequently to get a graphic of the request queue over time .   It would be valuable i agree and it can be linked to a connection which is cool.   I doubt i would scope this work for now but its probably doable in one way or another.  

louiswinter
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

I like the Qlik Lineage sheet but it appears that it doesn't have the "QlikEntity" objects listed.  I'd like to be able to select a report and see what object is used for the QlikEntity reports.  Has anybody else run across this and if so, have you figured out how to add this to the load?

Update:

Add the last entry (in bold) to this load to include Entity objects.

right join(AppObjectsInReports)
load * inline [
TemplateObjectType1,TemplateObjectType
TNSCOfficeReportCellEntity,Cells
TNSCOfficeReportCustomDatasetEntity,LevelOrPage
TNSCOfficeReportImageEntity,Image
TNSCOfficeReportSingleValueDataEntity,Variable
TNSCOfficeReportSingleValueFormulaEntity,Formula
TNSCOfficeReportTableEntity,Table
TNSCOfficeReportSomethingEntity,Entity];

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

I noticed Qlik Entity reports weren't associating to app objects or data connections.  I added support for them in the data model and the Lineage sheet should now reflect the data connections and app objects associated to Qlik Entity reports.  

You can grab the QVF with the changes here.  

https://github.com/eapowertools/NPrintingGovernanceDashboard

louiswinter
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Thanks Jonny,

We have migrated your latest load scripts to QlikView.  While we're getting things setup, we found a couple more things I'd like to ask you to double check.  Formulas and LevelOrPage don't appear to be associating correctly.

We really appreciate all your work on the dashboard.

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

@louiswinter  Can you retest in Qlik sense and share a screenshot of the issue ? Fudge out any names from the screenshot that you need to keep private . 

louiswinter
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

@JonnyPoole  The report shown has multiple formulas as well as a Level/Page and none of them show in the dashboard.

Report has Formulas and Level/Page but usage doesn't show them.Report has Formulas and Level/Page but usage doesn't show them.Report with Formulas and Level/Page.Report with Formulas and Level/Page.

Louis

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

Yeah i see that issue.  Strange i'm still checking if the database changed schemas recently and caused a breakage but for now i've updated the release  https://github.com/eapowertools/NPrintingGovernanceDashboard/releases/tag/v1.0

if your copying to QlikVIew, there were some load script edits to grab from the 'ConnectionContent Dimensions' section.  

louiswinter
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

@JonnyPoole  It's getting closer.  The Level/Page now shows but I'm still not getting any Formulas to show.  None of our reports show any Formulas (every row is 0) and we use them a lot.

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

got it.  just updated again.

louiswinter
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Looks good now, thanks @JonnyPoole !!!

Version history
Last update:
‎2022-05-18 06:54 PM
Updated by: