Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW

QlikView & Qlik Sense Unified (Dual Use) License - User Allocation

No ratings
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

QlikView & Qlik Sense Unified (Dual Use) License - User Allocation

Last Update:

May 10, 2022 3:01:03 PM

Updated By:

Jamie_Gregory

Created date:

Mar 15, 2021 3:19:37 PM

With a Unified license (formerly called Dual Use License) the legacy QlikView license is complemented with a Qlik Sense license that can be applied to the QlikView server as it includes QlikView entitlement license attributes. Such license needs to be activated with the Signed License Key (SLK). When a customer enters an Analytics Modernization Program (AMP, formerly known as Dual Use program), QlikView CALs (e.g. Named User CALs, Document CALS, Session CALs and Usage CALs) are converted into Professional User, Analyzer User,  and Analyzer Capacity User allocations based on the Analytics Modernization Program conversion ratios.

Here are two scenarios:

I. If a customer transitions to AMP with on-premise (client-managed) Qlik software (e.g. converts to the perpetual estate or convert to subscription Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows), a Unified License containing the converted quantity of Professional Users, Analyzer Users and Analyzer Capacity would be delivered. This license contains a customized Qlik Sense Enterprise Signed License Key (SLK) which can also be deployed on QlikView Server and/or QlikView Publisher. If a user is assigned a Professional or Analyzer user license, this assignment information is synchronized to all Qlik Sense and QlikView deployments activated using this Unified License key. As such one user just needs one license to access the entire Qlik software platform (regardless if it is Qlik Sense or QlikView).

In this scenario, as long as the QlikView Server and Qlik Sense edition use the same Identity Provider (IdP) the user can access apps on both environments consuming only one user license allocation.

If the user license is reallocated in any of the systems to a different user, the same will occur across both QlikView and Qlik Sense environments.

II. If a customer transitions to AMP with Qlik Sense Enterprise SaaS add-on, a Qlik Sense Enterprise SaaS tenant may use a Unified License  for the on-premise deployment. The customer is able to upload QlikView document prepared by the on-premise QlikView software directly into Qlik Sense Enterprise SaaS for distribution.

A QlikView Server or a Qlik Publisher software can be activated in two ways:

1) Using a legacy method with 16-digit QlikView license key and the corresponding control number

2) Using a modern Unified License with Signed License Key containing needed QlikView Server and Publisher Service attribute(s). In this latter scenario, user license assignment (Professional/Analyzer) and analyzer capacity would be synchronized with other deployments using the same Signed License Key as it is done in the Unified License model

If the customer opts to remain in Perpetual licensing, the existing QlikView license model can be retained. Otherwise, if the customer opts for conversion into Subscription licensing model, a set of QlikView subscription license attributes mirroring the existing QlikView perpetual license key setup would be delivered such that the customer switch to the subscription QlikView keys without the need for an immediate migration project towards using Unified licensing.

Note: Please note that Qlik is no longer starting clients on the Perpetual license model. See End of Perpetual License Sales 

Environment:

Related Content:

Labels (2)
Comments
martinpohl
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi,

thanks for this article.

We are thinking about one scenario:

How about, there are some document cals free and you allocate them on the Qlik Sense server to a new user.

How can this license be allocated on the QlikView server to a document (used as document cal)?

Regards

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello @martinpohl 

Qlik Sense does not understand legacy QlikView licenses (such as CALs) and they cannot be managed in Qlik Sense. Though if you're using a Unified License for your environment, you have already converted your CALs to Professional or/and Analyzer Licenses (see Analytics Modernization Program conversion ratios). In which case the assignments are synced across all servers licensed with the Unified License Key - Qlik Sense or QlikView.

Unless you are talking about scenario II, option 1, outlined in this article, where you retain your perpetual QlikView license. In that case, QlikView manages its own CALs. If you're going for scenario II, option 2, then we are back to using Professional or Analyzer licenses which are synchronized across all servers using the Unified license. 

All the best,

Sonja 

martinpohl
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hello @Sonja_Bauernfeind ,

you wrote

if you're using a Unified License for your environment, you have already converted your CALs to Professional or/and Analyzer Licenses

does this mean that QlikView licenses are also converted to Profs and Analyzer licenses or are they still available as Named an Document Cals in QlikView.

In szenario 2/2, licenses are synchronized. 

But what is happening with an Analyzer license that is allocated to a new user?

Can this user then also use this license in QlikView as a document cal? And which document can be used? Because, in QlikView, first you have to allocated licenses to the document, then you can allocate them to users.

Regards

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello @martinpohl 

Correct. There are no more CALs.

If you are using a Unified license, your QlikView environment now has Professional or Analyzer licenses, which are not managed on the Document level, but User level. See How to Allow Dynamic CAL, Professional, and Analyzer Access Licenses.

Having worked extensively and a very long time with QlikView myself, I like to compare it like this (please note that this is my own interpretation that helps me with keeping the licenses straight in my head):

Professional licenses are like Named User CALs. They are assigned on the user level, just like Named User CALs were and you can let them be dynamically assigned if you like. They are also the ones that define whether or not the user can lease a license! So a user who had a Named CAL is licensed to use any document on the AccessPoint. A user who has a Professional license can do the same. 

Document CALs are... gone. Document CALs never allowed for license lease, but neither were they Session or Usage CALs. You could assign a pool of those to documents and allow them to be picked up from there by users. You can no longer do that. 

Analyzer licenses are kind of Document CALs, but there is also a little Session and Usage CALs in them. You were never able to lease a license with the 3 CAL types and especially Session and Usage CALs were more meant for "analyzers" rather than "power users" and "developers". Though while Session and Usage CALs are timed, Analyzer licenses are fixed. You cannot lease a license with them!

Capacity packages/licenses are Session and Usage CALs. No license lease. Analyzing only. So, pretty much Session and Usage CALs.

martinpohl
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

great @Sonja_Bauernfeind ,

thank you for explanation.

I'm also an "old" QlikView user, hard to see license xhanging in Qlik Sense (Tokens, Capacity).

Regards

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

You're very welcome, @martinpohl 

Keep the questions coming as you find things that are unclear. We'll help!

Dimi
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Hi. This might be obvious, but I haven't received clear answer yet:

1. Is there a single unified license key that is to be entered both to QlikView server and Qlik Sense server? Is the mechanism how to do that described somewhere?

2. Can unified license key be used WITHOUT installing Qlik Sense? I.e. only QlikView server is needed with the ability to use Professional & Analyzer licensing. And license lease works as it used to be.

Thanks in advance!

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello @Dimi 

1. Yes, it is a single signed license key. This key can be applied to both QlikView and Qlik Sense. You then share user allocations (professional and analyzer license assignments) across all nodes. Regardless of if it is a Sense or a QlikView node. The synchronization is done with the licensing services that comes bundled with the products. 

For QlikView, you can see the instructions here: How to Apply a unified Signed License Key for QlikView and Qlik Sense .

For Qlik Sense: How to apply a Signed License Key.

2. You can apply it only to a QlikView server as well. No need to activate it on a Qlik Sense node in addition. License lease will function as expected (for professional user licenses). 

Colleen
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi

I am having an issue with leasing a license with the amp format for one of my clients. My other client doesn't have an issue leasing a license with the same server set up and the only difference is that the client that can lease is doing so via a secure network whereas the one who can't lease is just connecting to the server without a secure network.

I have searched on the community for suggestions but so far no joy. Any suggestions as to what we can try to sort this out?

Thanks

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello @Colleen 

I would suggest these two articles to get started on the investigation:

How To Lease License From QlikView Server To QlikView Desktop Client  
Troubleshooting QlikView License Lease Issues 

License lease to QlikView clients follows the same requirements regardless of license model. The end-user needs either a Professional License (SLK and modern license model) or a Named CAL (legacy licenses). 

Based on the error description this could be a port issue if the secured network does not allow port 4747, as an example. But the two articles linked above will be able to provide more context and troubleshooting steps. 

All the best,

Sonja 

Version history
Last update:
‎2022-05-10 03:01 PM
Updated by: