Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW

RESOLVED "The given key was not present in the dictionary" error launching NPrinting Designer 17+

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frank_S
Support
Support

RESOLVED "The given key was not present in the dictionary" error launching NPrinting Designer 17+

Last Update:

Aug 28, 2019 10:22:01 AM

Updated By:

Frank_S

Created date:

Mar 19, 2019 12:33:31 PM

Reference Support Article: https://support.qlik.com/articles/000068974

Description

April 26, 2019 Update:

• This issue is resolved in the  April 2019 Release of NPrinting which is now available for download from the Qlik Downloads site
  • Link: Qlik Support Downloads site

This problem occurs when a user connected to the NPrinting Web Console with Internet Explorer tries to edit a report. The problem is affecting only updated Windows machines.

To replicate the problem:
1. Install the Windows update KB4489881 (Monthly Rollup)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4489881/windows-8-1-update-kb4489881

2. Connect to NPrinting Internet  Explorer
3. Go to Reports and open a report or create a new one
4. Click on Edit Template
5. Click "Allow" if requested,

The"The given key was not present in the dictionary" error message is shown. Only the option to click OK is given. NPrinting Designer cannot be opened. NPrinting designer was working correctly before the mentioned Windows update.

Environment:

• NPrinting 17 any releases
  • NPrinting 18 any releases
  • NPrinting 19 February release

Cause

The problem is due to a change introduced with the mentioned Windows update - KB4489881 (Monthly Rollup). Further analysis are currently performed by Qlik Development team to resolve the problem.

Update: This issue is resolved in the upcoming April 2019 Release of NPrinting which should be available for download from the Qlik Downloads site by mid April 2019.

Resolution

NOTE: There are two possible workarounds:

1. The problem is affecting Internet Explorer only. Connect to the NPrinting Web console using a different browser. Firefox, Chrome and Edge have been tested successfully.
2. The problem can be solved by removing the Windows update KB4489881 (Monthly Rollup)

NOTE: If you are still experiencing this issue after installing April 2019 or later releases of NPrinting, please report it as a new defect to the Qlik Support desk or your Qlik support partner. Subsequent windows updates may be affecting/reintroducing this issue.

Disclaimer

Access to this article is provided to you as part of your subscription to Qlik Maintenance. This article is deemed to be “Documentation” under the terms of the license agreement applicable to your Qlik software. All rights reserved © QlikTech International AB.
Labels (1)
Comments
nikhilgandhi715
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Frank_S,

I am also facing the same issue with NPrinting. I checked the windows update as mentioned by you, but Windows Update KB4489881 (Monthly Rollup) is not installed on my windows server. The update I could see is KB4489883. Will this update be the reason for the issue?

Could you please share your thoughts on this? 

Regards,

Nikhil

Frank_S
Support
Support

Hi @nikhilgandhi715 

Please see the updated community document above. I suggest that you use a browser that is not Internet Explorer until the April 2019 release of NPrinting becomes available if you cannot find the KB4489881 patch to uninstall.

eightieschild
Creator
Creator

Hi @Frank_S 

We're seeing this issue on NPrinting 17.6 November 2017 release.

We run the designer tool on a shared RDP server to minimise the software maintenance. Sadly this means we can't uninstall the patch or install Firefox without violating security policy.

So this led me to look into workaround and I've found that by right clicking the 'Edit template' button in the NPrinting web console, copying the URL and then pasting this into a Run box, the template editor opens with the report template OK.

Can you verify that this might be a valid workaround for anyone having issues with the existing workaround like us?

Regards

Chris

Frank_S
Support
Support

Hi @eightieschild 

That's great news!

If it's working for you, others are more than welcome to try it. But as you mentioned, you have specific domain/group/security policies in your organization. This too may be true of other organizations.

As such what might work for you and your organization may not necessarily work for others but there is certainly no harm in trying.

Thank you for suggesting the tip!

eightieschild
Creator
Creator

FYI support have confirmed this as a workaround for April 2018, but not for Feb 2019 onwards due to a difference in the way the URL is generated.

HTH

Regards

Chris

PuriVelasco
Creator
Creator

I am working with release for Feb 2019 and I had this error with Mozilla Firefox, but not with Chrome.

Contributors
Version history
Last update:
‎2019-08-28 10:22 AM
Updated by: