Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nguyen
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Qlik Data Transfer Best practices

Hi,

I'm looking for some best practice examples of how to use Qlik Data Transfer with the Qlik Cloud and how to do Data transformations.

How do I transform and filter data before it gets stored as a QVD onto the Qlik Cloud?

Best regards,

Manh

Labels (1)
  • Cloud

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
acg_
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hello,

I agree with @Marcus_Spitzmiller, so far, the only scenario where I found Data Transfer most usefull was when the customer already has an ETL pipeline and want to see results in Qlik Cloud fast or wants to keep the system connection on-prem. In this case, we move only the QVDs used on the front end app. Generally, I prefer to use/recommend Data Folders connections over QVF reload. 

I believe you can set up simple filters for extraction on DT, but not transformations.. But now with Qlik Data Gateway, I believe this must be the best solution to extract data from on-prem sources on Qlik Cloud.

Rgds

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marcus_Spitzmiller

Hi, before you decide on a approach, if would make sense to look at Qlik Data Gateway - Direct Access if you haven't already.

As to your question, if it is possible to push the raw data to Qlik Cloud using Qlik Data Transfer, it might be simplest, and then perform transformations subsequently in Qlik Cloud.  Alternatively Qlik Data Transfer can perform a reload on a QVF which could be doing any number of transformations.  The resulting QVDs are pushed to Qlik Cloud.

Hope this helps -

Marcus 

acg_
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hello,

I agree with @Marcus_Spitzmiller, so far, the only scenario where I found Data Transfer most usefull was when the customer already has an ETL pipeline and want to see results in Qlik Cloud fast or wants to keep the system connection on-prem. In this case, we move only the QVDs used on the front end app. Generally, I prefer to use/recommend Data Folders connections over QVF reload. 

I believe you can set up simple filters for extraction on DT, but not transformations.. But now with Qlik Data Gateway, I believe this must be the best solution to extract data from on-prem sources on Qlik Cloud.

Rgds