Skip to main content
Announcements
Accelerate Your Success: Fuel your data and AI journey with the right services, delivered by our experts. Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erisman20
Contributor III
Contributor III

Disable Master Dimensions Calculated/Cached on App Open

Hello everyone,

We have a workflow that could potentially require thousands of calculated master dimensions being created programatically. We’ve noticed that after adding these master dimensions, the initial opening of the app takes a very long time and spikes CPU on the node that it is opening on.  It appears as if any calculated master dimension is calculated/cached when the app opens. Master dimensions that aren't a calculated dimension have no impact on performance.

For example:

=[User ID]                           --- no performance impact

=Pick(Match(...,...)...)     --- impacts performance on initial app open

Is there a way to prevent this behavior? 

3 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I'm surprised that the calculated Dimensions are being calculated on open, that's something I'll have to look at further.  But calculated dimensions create several issues anyways, so I would think an architecture that utilizes thousands of calculated Dimensions is highly likely to be a failure.  I would ask yourself if there might be a better approach than using calculated dimensions. 

-Rob

erisman20
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Rob,

Currently that is the only workflow that is going to work for us. But regardless, we wouldn't these master dimensions to be calculated on app open even if there were a handful. If you have any further insight on the issue, that would be great.

- Jordan

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

No insight. I recommend you contact Qlik support, this would be a good question for R&D. 

-Rob